|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||33 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays and Wednesdays: Apr 25-Sep 19, 2015|
|Start city:||Innsbruck, Austria|
|End city:||Riva, Italy|
Passing fruit orchards, vineyards, lakes and rivers, this tour offers cyclists an unparalleled experience. Beginning in Innsbruck, the route visits the cities of Merano and Trento on the way to Italy's beautiful Lake Garda. Admire the region's history while you visit the Monastery at Zams, famous Schnatterpeck altar and Marienburg Fortress. Marvel at the emerald Reschensee and Kalterersee Lakes and blossoming valleys at the foot of the Alps. Enjoy the charm and culture of small towns dotting the diverse landscape. You will experience all this and more as you cycle from Innsbruck to Lake Garda!
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Innsbruck
Upon arrival in Innsbruck, attend the briefing meeting and get your rental bicycle. You'll have time to explore Innsbruck's famous old town, city tower and medieval "Golden Roof".
Overnight in Innsbruck
Day 2: Innsbruck – Imst (40 mi/65 km)
On an old bridle path along the Inn River, you'll cycle beside Martin’s wall and through small villages and hamlets to Stams. The Baroque Cistercian Monastery is one of Stams' highlights. The route continues via Haiming to Imst, known as the “Merano of North Tyrol”.
Overnight in Imst
Day 3: Imst – Burgeis/Mals (31 mi/50 km)
Today's route follows the Inn River, past the Monastery at Zams to Landeck. From here, you'll be transferred by bus to Nauders, with an additional 328 ft/100 m climb to Reschen Pass. The route continues downhill to Lake Reschensee and on minor roads to Mals or Burgeis, located at the foot of Marienburg Fortress.
Overnight in Burgeis/Mals
Day 4: Burgeis/Mals – Merano (41 mi/65 km)
The first stop on the day's ride is Glurns, featuring a fully intact medieval city wall. The ride continues past the ruins of Montani through Schlanders and down to Merano. Standing guard on the route are numerous fortresses and castles, including famous alpinist Reinhold Messner's Juval Castle. Along this stage, you'll have impressive views of Ortler, the highest mountain in the Eastern Alps, and Stilfserjoch. You'll also have the option to shorten the route by taking the Vinschgau train, revitalized in 2004.
Overnight in Merano
Day 5: Merano – Kaltern/Tramin/Auer (28-31 mi/45-50 km)
See the famous Schnatterpeck-altar in Lana as you cycle through fruit orchards and vineyards of the South Tyrolean wine street. You'll pass fortresses, castles and ruins along the way. Other highlights of the day are Hocheppan's famous frescoes and St. Paul's “dome in the country” on Lake Kalterer See. You will finish the day in one of the picturesque wine-growing towns of Kaltern, Tramin or Auer.
Overnight in Kaltern/Tramin/Auer
Day 6: Tramin/Kaltern/Auer – Trento (28 mi/45 km)
Today's route is mainly on the Adige River, sometimes through vineyards, heading to Salurn. From Salurn, the cycle path is along a dyke surrounded left and right by the famous Trentino vineyards. The final stop of the day is Trento, where you can visit the famous old town, dome, and Buonconsiglio Castle.
Overnight in Trento
Day 7: Trento – Riva/Torbole (31 mi/50 km)
The final day's route continues on the Adige River to Rovereto, the old Tyrolean border city, and Mori. Here the route leaves the river and turns west to Lake Garda. After a brief 492 ft/150 m climb on Passo San Giovanni you cycle down to Torbole, Riva or Arco.
Overnight in Riva/Torbole
Day 8: Individual departure
Today marks the end of your tour. You can either arrange more days in Italy or arrange for a taxi to the airport or train station.
Saturdays and Wednesdays: Apr 25-Sep 19, 2015
|Low season:||Apr 25-May 10, 2015|
|Shoulder season:||May 11-Jul 26; Sep 12-Sep 19, 2015|
|High season:||Jul 27-Sep 11, 2015|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Austria Trend Hotel Congress, Innsbruck
Zum Hirschen, Imst
Hotel Garni zum Hirschen, Burgeis/Mals
Hotel Flora, Merano
Hotel and Residence Kaufmann, Kaltern/Tramin/Auer
Grand Hotel Trento, Trento
Best Western Hotel Europa, Riva
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The route follows cycle paths in the valleys of Inn and Adige Rivers and several country lanes between fruit orchards and vineyards. You'll be transferred from the Inn Valley to Reschen Pass, where you will then cycle 3900 ft/1200 m downhill, with a few short climbs in between.
Nearest airport: Innsbruck (INN), Austria
Nearest train station: Innsbruck, Austria
Nearest airport: Verona (VRN), Venice (VCE) and Milan (MXP), Italy
Nearest train station: Rovereto, Italy
To return from Riva to Innsbruck, you can go by bus to Rovereto and then take a train from Rovereto to Innsbruck.
Return transfer to Innsbruck by minibus is available on Saturdays. It costs €65 per person and, due to limited space, reservations in advance are required. You pay on the spot.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.