BikeTours.com (formerly BikeToursDirect) represents bicycle tour companies in European countries and markets more than 200 of their tours to the English-speaking world. Clients find and book their tours on BikeTours.com, and we take care of the complete booking and payment process. Our Tour Advisor team spends extensive time advising clients and helping them plan their dream tour.
We seek an energetic team player with sales and service experience (ideally in travel or tourism) to fill an immediate opening for a Tour Advisor. You’ll interact with clients by phone and email, consult with them to identify and book their perfect trip and advise them throughout their trip planning process. You’ll manage the complete booking process for your clients, serving as a resource, advisor, and advocate. This is a sales and service role that requires a consultative approach to understanding a traveler’s needs, interests, and dreams. Your goal is to convert email and phone inquiries into bookings and clients into ambassadors by providing outstanding client support and service.
The position is full-time, year-round, salaried, and based in our headquarters office in Chattanooga, Tennessee, a center for outdoor recreation with a thriving downtown and low cost of living and twice dubbed “Best Outdoor Town” by Outside Magazine.
Most of your work will be interacting with clients and operators across the globe. Occasional work outside of normal business hours may be necessary due to the global reach of our business, but you’ll typically work 8 a.m.-5 p.m. This position may transition to a Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday schedule following a Monday-Friday training period.
- In short, helping our clients’ bike tour dreams come true!
- Respond to inquiries via email and phone and help clients select the most appropriate tours
- Convert inquiries into booked clients through consultative selling
- Handle all stages of the booking process
- Maintain ongoing communication with clients and tour operators
- Be an ambassador for our company and an advocate for bike travel in general
You should have at least 2 years of customer service experience that has cultivated patience and thoroughness when supporting clients. You will work with 700-900 clients annually, so you must be able to work efficiently while ensuring every detail of a client’s dream trip is executed consistently and promptly. Significant personal travel experience is ideal, though a sense of adventure is absolutely required. Appreciating the benefits of “slow travel” is necessary to sell bicycle tours well. You don’t have to be a cyclist, but an interest or passion for bicycling is a plus. If you’re personally into bike touring or adventure travel, all the better!
Required education and work experience
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
- 2+ years in a phone and email-based sales or customer service role
- Adept at consultative selling approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior attention to detail and organizational skills
- Efficient but thorough approach to handling a large and fast-paced workload
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment
- Ability to quickly learn software systems (such as reservations and client contact management systems)
- Computer skills (basic word processing, spreadsheet, database and web)
- Team player with a “get it done” attitude
- Foreign language fluency – conversational or better (preferred)
- Passion for the outdoors and travel, preferably including overseas bicycle travel
- Knowledge of international geography and cultures
- High comfort level with intercultural communication
- Extensive travel experience in Europe
- Travel industry experience with a focus on selling travel to international destinations.
Compensation and benefits
- Salary offered within range of $27,000-$29,000, dependent upon experience
- Group health insurance plan (shared contributions)
- Paid vacation and holidays as well as time off for community service and outdoor activities
In addition, following 1 year of employment, tour advisors may be invited to participate in company-sponsored travel opportunities to build first-hand knowledge of our service and the destinations and tours we sell.
Please send cover letters and resumes to email@example.com by Jan 11, 2018. Due to the volume of applicants, we regret that we cannot respond to applicants who do not meet the listed position requirements.