Position currently available: Tour Specialist
BikeToursDirect seeks an energetic team player with tourism industry experience to fill an immediate opening for a Tour Specialist. This position fills key customer service and client relations roles as part of our Tour Specialist team (currently 4 customer-facing positions and 2 support positions in 3 office locations). You’ll interact with clients by phone and email, help them select appropriate tours, and advise them throughout their trip planning process. You’ll manage the complete booking process for your clients, serving as a resource and advocate.
The position is full-time, year-round, salaried, and based in our headquarters office in Chattanooga, Tennessee, a center for outdoor recreation with a thriving downtown and low cost of living and dubbed “Best Town Ever” by Outside Magazine. You will share offices with our small, close-knit staff in Chattanooga and work closely with team members in Los Angeles and our Asia satellite office in South Korea. Most of your work will be interacting with clients and operators across the globe. (Occasional work outside of normal business hours may be necessary due to the global reach of our business, but you’ll typically work weekdays 8 a.m.-5 p.m.). We encourage employees to be active and seek adventure, and we frequently offer staff opportunities to travel and experience bike touring first-hand or to meet with overseas operator partners.
- Respond to phone and email inquiries about specifics tours as well as to advise clients on appropriate tours based on client preferences
- Handle all stages of the booking process
- Review incoming bookings and follow up with clients as needed
- Submit booking requests to tour operators
- Confirm bookings to clients
- Coordinate with finance support specialist for payment-related issues
- Receive tour documents from tour companies and distribute to clients
- Maintain ongoing communication with clients and tour operators
- Track all actions in booking system and maintain detailed client records
- Update tour information and enter new tours on website
- Be an ambassador of our brand and an advocate for bike travel in general
- Provide constructive feedback on internal processes and policies and adapt within a rapidly growing and changing business
You should have at least 3 years of travel industry experience with a focus on selling travel to international destinations. You should have customer service experience that has cultivated patience and thoroughness when supporting clients. Significant personal travel experience is ideal, though a sense of adventure is absolutely required. Appreciating the benefits of “slow travel” is necessary to sell bicycle tours well. You don’t have to be a cyclist, but an interest or passion for bicycling is a plus. If you’re personally into bike touring or adventure travel, all the better!
You should have experience interacting with clients to find and know the reward of helping them choose and take the perfect trip based on their needs and interests.
- Associate’s or more advanced degree
- 3+ years travel industry/agency experience with international destinations
- Customer service/client relations experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of international geography and cultures
- Comfort level with intercultural communication
- Superior attention to detail and organizational skills
- Adaptability in a fast-paced and fast-changing environment
- Ability to quickly learn software systems (such as reservations and client contact management systems)
- Computer skills (basic word processing, spreadsheet, database and web)
- Team player with a “get it done” attitude
- Bachelor’s degree
- Foreign language fluency – Conversational or better
- Significant personal travel experience
Compensation and benefits
- Salary dependent upon experience
- Group health insurance plan available
- Relocation stipend (if necessary)
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Following 1 year of employment, potential for company-sponsored travel opportunities to build first-hand knowledge of our service and the destinations and tours we sell
- After 3 years, employees are eligible for tax-deferred, company-paid retirement plan funding
BikeToursDirect represents bicycle tour companies in more than 70 countries and market more than 500 of their tours to the English-speaking world. Clients find and book their tours on the BikeToursDirect website (www.biketours.com), and we take care of the complete booking and payment process. We spend extensive time advising clients on their tour planning. More about us >
We’ve grown consistently each of our 11 years in business, and we will book more than 3,000 clients in 2014. There are big changes in the near future for our brand that will reflect the growth and evolution of our product and services. Our team has expanded dramatically in the last 3 years, growing from 2 employees to 10 full-time employees plus seasonal support staff (meet the team >), and we’re looking forward to bringing the right person on board to be an ambassador for the brand and for exploring the world on two wheels!
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover email should outline your relevant experience, and please also include one paragraph highlighting your favorite destination or a favorite travel experience.