Bike tours for families
Bicycle tours are a great way for your family to explore a region or country. Together you get a feel for new terrain, the sights and smells, history, culture, and people—experiences that aren't always possible from a train or rental car. Another bonus for parents? Built-in physical activity every day means worn out kids at night! Check out our tips for choosing a bike tour for your family >
How do we decide which bike tours are practical for families? For starters, our moms on staff have assessed the tours and set up some criteria, dividing the family-friendly tours into two main groups--tours that are better for families with younger children (12 and under) and tours that are suitable for families with kids in their teens.
Here are some other criteria we consider for family bike tours:
- Does the tour take place on dedicated bike paths? Or possibly quiet side roads?
- Is the route grade flat or mostly flat?
- Are the daily distances shorter (easier for shorter legs)?
- Does the tour operator provide appropriate bikes and rental equipment for a variety of ages (bike seat, bike carrier, tag-along, children’s bikes)?
- Does the tour possibly have educational value, enjoyable sites or attractions, non-cycling activities, built-in rest days?
Search bike tours recommended for families traveling with:
Still nervous about picking a great bike tour for your family? Read on for more of our recommendations on choosing your family's bike tour >
Related blog posts
Pedal faster mommy! Tips on bike touring with your family >
Bowing to bicycle: Bike touring with a two-year-old >