|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||29 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Fridays: Feb 14 (almond blossom time-daily program subject to change); Mar 7-Jun 20; Sep 5-Oct 17, 2014|
|Start city:||Cala Blava, Majorca|
|End city:||Playa de Palma, Majorca|
Located off the coast of Spain, the island of Majorca serves as an ideal setting for a bike tour. This loop tour of Majorca cycles around the entire island, visiting new and exciting sights and towns each day.
If this island was a woman, she would have the reputation of a fancy pin-up girl. However, meeting her, one would be astonished by her naturalness. Standing on steep cliffs, overlooking quiet bays, you will feel the charm of Mallorca far away from its rich night life.
Mallorca can whisper too: In the hills in the interior of the island, the wheels of the mills are turning gently and you can hear the cicadas chirping in the grass. On this tour you will cycle uphill and downhill – some nice climbs and descents are awaiting you. Perhaps those ups and downs are symbolic of the turbulent, 2,000-year history of the largest Balearic Island? Both, the coast as well as the inland, have their own charms and you will get to know each of them.
In the Dragon Caves of Porto Cristo you will experience how creative and sometimes bizarre the architecture of nature can be. The picturesque fishing villages and shimmering salt lakes will revive your sense of romance.
And of course you will get many opportunities for swimming and sunbathing without booking a beach chair many hours in advance. “La Luminosa – The Enlightened One“ – that is how Mallorca is called by the Spaniards. Doesn’t this sound more like the name of a saint than of a pin-up girl?
A great time to visit Majorca is in February, when you can see the island's almond trees in bloom.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival Cala Blava/Puig d´en Ros
Individual arrival. By taxi from the airport to the hotel in Cala Blava (only about 6 miles/10km) costs appromixatley €20.
Overnight in Cala Blava/Puig d'en Ros.
Day 2: Cala Blava – Colonia San Jordi (31 mi/50 km)
Today begins with a welcome briefing with tour information and bike distribution. The first stage follows the coast to Capocorp Vell, where you can see the settlements of the island's natives. Lining the road are typical windmills, as the route passes the salt fields of Llevant and rose-white shimmering salt lakes. In San Jordi, sandy beaches with crystal clear water welcome you.
Overnight in San Jordi
Day 3: Colonia San Jordi – Porto Cristo (38 mi/60 km)
Today's cycling route heads to a botanical garden via Ses Salines. Highlights of the day include the picturesque bay of Cala Santanyi, small fishing villages, and "Es Pontas," a famous natural bridge. The day's final stop is Porto Cristo, with the bizarre rock formations of the Dragon Caves close by.
Overnight in Porto Cristo
Day 4: Porto Cristo – C'an Picafort (40 mi/65 km)
Cycling through the sleepy village Son Carrio, the route heads to Manacor, the city of Majorca pearls and ceramics. The route continues through delightful scenery to C'an Picafort via Santa Margerita, the most beautiful village square in Majorca.
Overnight in C'an Picafort
Day 5: Port de Pollensa/Alcudia (28 mi/45 km)
There is no need to pack the suitcase, as you will stay another night in C'an Picafort. Today you'll cycle through a bird sanctuary to the bay of Pollenca featuring a Roman port. The route continutes along the coast to Alcudia, the oldest town on the island, and back to C'an Picafort.
Overnight in C'an Picafort
Day 6: C'an Picafort – Port de Soller (37 mi/60 km)
Today you cycle into the island's interior and Sierra mountains passing through Muro and Inca. A bus will take cyclists to the Lluc Monastery, up to 4000 ft/1200 m above sea level. The bike tour begins again as you descend through orange and citrus planations to Porto Soller via Fornalutx, hailed as the most beautiful village of Spain. A delicious paella lunch is served in Fornalutx.
Overnight in Porto Soller
Day 7: Port de Soller - Playa de Palma (10 mi/20 km)
A lighter day of biking is combined with a beautiful train ride through the Valley of Oranges as you make your way to Palma, the capital of Majorca. In Palma you will have a guided sightseeing tour of the old town and cathedral, then the tour continues cycling along the coast to Playa de Palma.
Overnight in Playa de Palma
Day 8: Playa de Palma
This is the end of your tour. You may arrange for a longer stay in Playa de Palma or arrange for a taxi to the airport.
Fridays: Feb 14 (almond blossom time-daily program subject to change); Mar 7-Jun 20; Sep 5-Oct 17, 2014
|Off season:||Mar 7-Mar 14; Oct 10-Oct 17, 2014|
|Low season:||Feb 14-Feb 20; Mar 15-May 1; Sep 26-Oct 9, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 2-Jun 20; Sep 19-Sep 25, 2014|
|High season:||Sep 5-Sep 18, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Hotel Delta, Puig d'en Ros
Day 2: Sur Mallorca, Colònia San Jordi
Day 3: Hotel Felip, Porto Cristo
Day 4: Platja Daurada, C’a Picafort
Day 5: Hotel Marina, Porto de Sóller
Day 6: El Cid, Playa de Palma- Can Pastilla
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The difficulty of the stages range from easy to medium. While it does have some climbs, they are followed by long downhill stretches that allows you to recover. The most difficult parts of the tour are covered by bus. The routes are on quiet minor roads or small tracks, always as far from traffic as possible. The tour company reserves the right to change the route if necessary.
This tour is moderately challenging and is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Palma de Majorca
Flights from North America connect to Palma de Majorca through major European hubs like Paris, Zurich, Barcelona, London, Frankfurt and Madrid. From the airport, travel by taxi to the first hotel (about €20).
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
With more than 50 million tourists visiting each year, Spain is the second most toured country in the world. Sitting on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe, Spain is known for its miles of beautiful Mediterranean coastline ranging from the rocky Costa Brava to the white sand of Costa Blanca and Balearic Islands off the coast. Spain’s culture thrives in its urban centers of Madrid, the capital, Barcelona and Seville. The countries history is exhibited in countless monuments, ruins, castles and cathedrals, contributing to Spain's ranking as the second country with the most UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Amazing renowned wines from La Rioja, olive oils from Baena, paella rice from Levanta, Crema Catalana liqueur from Catalonia and more than one hundred varieties of cheese define Spain’s mouth-watering Mediterranean cuisine.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.