|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||29 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Fridays: Feb 14 (almond blossom time-daily program subject to change); Mar 7-Jun 20; Sep 5-Oct 17, 2014|
|Start city:||Cala Blava, Majorca|
|End city:||Playa de Palma, Majorca|
Located off the coast of Spain, the island of Majorca serves as an ideal setting for a bike tour. This loop tour of Majorca cycles around the entire island, visiting new and exciting sights and towns each day.
If this island was a woman, she would have the reputation of a fancy pin-up girl. However, meeting her, one would be astonished by her naturalness. Standing on steep cliffs, overlooking quiet bays, you will feel the charm of Mallorca far away from its rich night life.
Mallorca can whisper too: In the hills in the interior of the island, the wheels of the mills are turning gently and you can hear the cicadas chirping in the grass. On this tour you will cycle uphill and downhill – some nice climbs and descents are awaiting you. Perhaps those ups and downs are symbolic of the turbulent, 2,000-year history of the largest Balearic Island? Both, the coast as well as the inland, have their own charms and you will get to know each of them.
In the Dragon Caves of Porto Cristo you will experience how creative and sometimes bizarre the architecture of nature can be. The picturesque fishing villages and shimmering salt lakes will revive your sense of romance.
And of course you will get many opportunities for swimming and sunbathing without booking a beach chair many hours in advance. “La Luminosa – The Enlightened One“ – that is how Mallorca is called by the Spaniards. Doesn’t this sound more like the name of a saint than of a pin-up girl?
A great time to visit Majorca is in February, when you can see the island's almond trees in bloom.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival Cala Blava/Puig d´en Ros
Individual arrival. By taxi from the airport to the hotel in Cala Blava (only about 6 miles/10km) costs appromixatley €20.
Overnight in Cala Blava/Puig d'en Ros.
Day 2: Cala Blava – Colonia San Jordi (31 mi/50 km)
Today begins with a welcome briefing with tour information and bike distribution. The first stage follows the coast to Capocorp Vell, where you can see the settlements of the island's natives. Lining the road are typical windmills, as the route passes the salt fields of Llevant and rose-white shimmering salt lakes. In San Jordi, sandy beaches with crystal clear water welcome you.
Overnight in San Jordi
Day 3: Colonia San Jordi – Porto Cristo (38 mi/60 km)
Today's cycling route heads to a botanical garden via Ses Salines. Highlights of the day include the picturesque bay of Cala Santanyi, small fishing villages, and "Es Pontas," a famous natural bridge. The day's final stop is Porto Cristo, with the bizarre rock formations of the Dragon Caves close by.
Overnight in Porto Cristo
Day 4: Porto Cristo – C'an Picafort (40 mi/65 km)
Cycling through the sleepy village Son Carrio, the route heads to Manacor, the city of Majorca pearls and ceramics. The route continues through delightful scenery to C'an Picafort via Santa Margerita, the most beautiful village square in Majorca.
Overnight in C'an Picafort
Day 5: Port de Pollensa/Alcudia (28 mi/45 km)
There is no need to pack the suitcase, as you will stay another night in C'an Picafort. Today you'll cycle through a bird sanctuary to the bay of Pollenca featuring a Roman port. The route continutes along the coast to Alcudia, the oldest town on the island, and back to C'an Picafort.
Overnight in C'an Picafort
Day 6: C'an Picafort – Port de Soller (37 mi/60 km)
Today you cycle into the island's interior and Sierra mountains passing through Muro and Inca. A bus will take cyclists to the Lluc Monastery, up to 4000 ft/1200 m above sea level. The bike tour begins again as you descend through orange and citrus planations to Porto Soller via Fornalutx, hailed as the most beautiful village of Spain. A delicious paella lunch is served in Fornalutx.
Overnight in Porto Soller
Day 7: Port de Soller - Playa de Palma (10 mi/20km: 10km by bike, 10km by train)
A lighter day of biking is combined with a beautiful train ride through the Valley of Oranges as you make your way to Palma, the capital of Majorca. In Palma you will have a guided sightseeing tour of the old town and cathedral, then the tour continues cycling along the coast to Playa de Palma.
Overnight in Playa de Palma
Day 8: Playa de Palma
This is the end of your tour. You may arrange for a longer stay in Playa de Palma or arrange for a taxi to the airport.
We now have 2015 information for some tours. Please contact us to inquire if you don't see 2015 dates and prices here.
Fridays: Feb 14 (almond blossom time-daily program subject to change); Mar 7-Jun 20; Sep 5-Oct 17, 2014
|Off season:||Mar 7-Mar 14; Oct 10-Oct 17, 2014|
|Low season:||Feb 14-Feb 20; Mar 15-May 1; Sep 26-Oct 9, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 2-Jun 20; Sep 19-Sep 25, 2014|
|High season:||Sep 5-Sep 18, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Hotel Delta, Puig d'en Ros
Day 2: Sur Mallorca, Colònia San Jordi
Day 3: Hotel Felip, Porto Cristo
Day 4: Platja Daurada, C’a Picafort
Day 5: Hotel Marina, Porto de Sóller
Day 6: El Cid, Playa de Palma- Can Pastilla
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The difficulty of the stages range from easy to medium. While it does have some climbs, they are followed by long downhill stretches that allows you to recover. The most difficult parts of the tour are covered by bus. The routes are on quiet minor roads or small tracks, always as far from traffic as possible. The tour company reserves the right to change the route if necessary.
This tour is moderately challenging and is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Palma de Majorca
Flights from North America connect to Palma de Majorca through major European hubs like Paris, Zurich, Barcelona, London, Frankfurt and Madrid. From the airport, travel by taxi to the first hotel (about €20).
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
With more than 50 million tourists visiting each year, Spain is the second most toured country in the world. Sitting on the Iberian Peninsula in southwestern Europe, Spain is known for its miles of beautiful Mediterranean coastline ranging from the rocky Costa Brava to the white sand of Costa Blanca and Balearic Islands off the coast. Spain’s culture thrives in its urban centers of Madrid, the capital, Barcelona and Seville. The countries history is exhibited in countless monuments, ruins, castles and cathedrals, contributing to Spain's ranking as the second country with the most UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Amazing renowned wines from La Rioja, olive oils from Baena, paella rice from Levanta, Crema Catalana liqueur from Catalonia and more than one hundred varieties of cheese define Spain’s mouth-watering Mediterranean cuisine.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.