|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||24 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Mar 1-June 14; Sep 13-Nov 15, 2014|
|Start city:||Faro, Portugal|
|End city:||Faro, Portugal|
This is one of the most beautiful coastal routes in Europe, with miles of beautiful sandy beaches as well as centuries-old testimonies of a former empire, floral displays of the Portuguese spring, and snow-white villages.
Beautiful nature, hospitable and original people--experience it all on this bike tour through the sandy Algarve.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival
Individual arrival in Faro.
Day 2: Faro – Tavira (24 miles/38 km)
In the North, you first reach the charming town Estoi with its Roman archeological sites (Milreu). After a extensive sightseeing tour (optional), we continue the way through the small village of Moncarapacho and finally we get at Fuseta back to the coast. The last kilometers of the day you will cycle along the coast up to your today’s target Tavira, where you will spend two nights in a beautiful 4-star hotel.
Overnight in Tavira.
Day 3: Day off in Tavira
time to chill and swim! Take advantage of this free day for relaxing and swimming at the beautiful sandy beach near Tavira.
Overnight in Tavira.
Day 4: Tavira – Vila Real (28 miles/45 km)
Cycling along the cycle path at the coast, you first reach the small villages of Cabanas, Manta Rota and Monte Gordo and finally Vila Real. In this charming fishing village, you will again spend two nights.
Overnight in Villa Real.
Day 5: Tour around Vila Real (14 miles/22 km)
By ferry you get across the Guadiana river (border river with Spain) to the Andalusian town Ayamonte. A small round trip to Isla Cristina passes through a bird sanctuary and strawberry fields and will inspire you before you ride return to Vila Real.
Overnight in Villa Real.
Day 6: Vila Real – Tavira (28 miles/45 km)
Through Castro Marim, overlooking the lagoon of the sandy Algarve and a side trip to the coast the route goes through the back-country finally back to Tavira. You should not miss a visit to the fortified castle Cacella Velha.
Overnight in Tavira.
Day 7: Tavira – Faro (26 miles/42 km)
From Tavira you first cycle to a small waterfall, which is perfect suitable for a picnic. The bicycle tour continues over Santo Estevao and Estiramentes in direction to Olhao with its famous fish market. On small side-roads, you finally reach the starting point of your bicycle tour Faro.
Overnight in Faro.
Day 8: Departure
Individual departure from Faro or additional nights.
We now have 2015 information for some tours. Please contact us to inquire if you don't see 2015 dates and prices here.
Saturdays: Mar 1-June 14; Sep 13-Nov 15, 2014
|This tour requires a minimum of 2 participants.|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Hotel Eva, Faro
Days 2 and 3: Hotel Portanova, Tavira
Days 4 and 5: Hotel Apolo,Vila Real
Day 6: Hotel Portanova, Tavira
Day 7: Hotel Eva, Faro
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
This tour uses branded tour bicycles that are light weight and equipped with 21-speed derailleur and freewheel. Upon request, there is a 7-speed bicycle available with hub gear, back-pedal brakes and 2 V-brakes. The bikes have comfortable gel saddles and a diameter seat-post of 27.2 to 31.4 mm.
E-bikes, children's bikes and equipment are available upon request.
Available Frame sizes:
Tour start and end
Nearest airport and train station: Faro (FAO)
Taxi transfers from Faro airport to your hotel, or from your hotel to the airport, should cost approximately €15 per transfer.
There are also bus connections available, and should cost approximately €2 per transfer.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
You cycle on bike paths and small side roads with little traffic. Rolling hills are inevitable.
This tour is also suitable for families. At the beginning and the end of the cities will be a bit of increased traffic congestion.
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Located in South Western Europe, Portugal features over 528 miles (850 km) of pristine blue water and sandy beaches. Along with Portugal’s coast are the energetic cities of Lisbon and Porto. Built on hills overlooking the coast, Lisbon is one of Europe’s underrated capital cities. Highlights include Europe’s largest Oceanarium, museums and the Park of Nations, excellent for cycling. Porto, Lisbon’s northern rival, highlights ancient castles, natural parks and home to the world-famous Port wine of the River Douro. Walk along cobblestone paths and enjoy Portugal's famous cuisine of fresh seafood, cheeses, or sausages, accompanied by Fado music, Portugal's traditional melancholic singing.
For 20 years, Radreisefreunde has offered bike tours throughout the world, and are a very experienced company. They try to act flexible, as they offer individual service for each and every client. The quality of their journeys and satisfaction of their clients is the most important aspect to their company. Throughout their 20 years of business, their excellent service and quality has contributed to many clients returning on multiple tours.
Radreisefreunde would be pleased to welcome you on their tours!
Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
- Up to the 28th day before the beginning of the journey: 10%, at least € 50,
- From the 27th to the 8th day before the beginning of the journey: 50% of the travel price
- From the 7th to the 1st day before the beginning of the journey: 80 % of the travel price
- On the arrival day and non-participation: 100% of the travel price
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. Radreisefreunde can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers Radreisefreunde the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when Radreisefreunde or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
1. The service descriptions in the current Radreisefreunde-catalogue or web site cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Liability and restriction of liability
1. Radreisefreunde is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The Radreisefreunde is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked byRadreisefreunde (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee. In case of insolvency refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a guided tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. Radreisefreundecan refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through Radreisefreunde. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveler intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999.
In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by Radreisefreunde are insured by a bank guarantee. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base.
In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent within 8 weeks of insolvency date.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should informRadreisefreunde immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveler is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue Radreisefreunde only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.