|Type of tour:||Guided|
|Distance:||31 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Apr 4; Oct 3, 2014|
|Start city:||Windhoek, Namibia|
|End city:||Windhoek, Namibia|
The Namib Desert, the site of this cycling tour, derives its name from the a Nama term meaning "vast place" and occupies an area of arund 80,900 square kilometers. It is considered to be the oldest desert in the world. The Namib Naukluft Park is the largest game reserve in Africa (and the fourth largest in the world!). A visit to the spectacular dunes of Sossusvlei and Sesriem Canyon, where the Tsauchab River has exposed millions of years of geological history, is a must-visit site for visitors to Namibia.
A combination of vehicle and cycling is a unique way to experience the Namibian desert scenery. This tour is rated "challenging" due to daily distances, but the difficulty level can be adjusted somewhat according to fitness standards. A few highlighted routes per day will be cycled with a support vehicle behind the last cycler and a guide cycling amongst the group. Most of the cycling will be done on smooth gravel roads. All camps and lodges visited have swimming pool and bar facilities.
Learn more on guided bike tours.
Note: This tour must have at least 5 people to run.
Day 1: Windhoek
Arrive in the Capitol of Namibia. Today there is time to relax and get familiar with your bike with your guide and explore town. This trip is ideal to combine the safari beauty of Namibia and is unique in by cycling on quite scenic dirt roads. Km’s are displayed for each day cycling but is flexible depending on the group.
Overnight at Arebbusch Travel Lodge or similar in Windhoek.
Day 2: Windhoek - Gamsberg/Rooisand (37 miles/60 km, transfer 50 miles/90 km)
Leaving Windhoek at 1700m above sea level we undertake a short transfer from town towards the Khomas Hochland to the top of the Kupferbergpass. From here we will descent and start enjoying our first open landscape scenery for 40-50km. We cycle onto beautiful curvy gravel roads where we pass private farms and can see some local wildlife and lots of birdlife.
We will be transferred to the top of the Gamsberg pass passing the 3rd highest mountain in Namibia with views stretching for 100km far getting our first glimpse of desert scenery. We cycle down the pass through dry river beds and could pass troops of baboons or the protected Hartman’s Mountain Zebra.
Our fist camp is 15km down the pass road at the oasis of Rooisand camp and we can enjoy a worthwhile swim after our first day cycling.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch
Overnight: Camping in Rooisand.
Day 3: Rooisand - Sesriem (37 miles/60 km, transfer 80 miles/130 km)
We start cycling today from Rooisand on gravel road with small continues hills for 30km in nice morning weather. We could either continue cycling 20km to the Guab pass on curvy roads or alternatively be transferred there and then cycle from the Guab pass on ascending and descending roads passing colourful landscapes to the Solitaire area for a welcoming lunch and enjoying the best apple crumble in the southern hemisphere.
After lunch we transfer towards Sesriem area 60km and can cycle optionally the last 20km to camp weather permitting to Sesriem where we enter and exit the Namib Naukluft Park a few times.
Meals included: breakfast, dinner
Overnight: Camping at Sesriem.
Day 4: Dune 45 and Sossusvlei (43 miles/70 km, transfer 56 miles/90km)
Pre dawn we depart to the entrance gates to Sossusvlei. We undertake a short transfer and start cycling on a smooth flat sealed road for 20-30km as the first light hits the desert sand early morning in the Namib Naukluft Park to the red dunes of Dune 45.
We have some nice opportunities to stop on the way next to the road for beautiful photographic moments capturing the sunrise on the Dunes. A climb up the sand dunes will give a superb view up and down of the Tsaucab River Canyon which forms the valley between the famous sand dunes. Your guide will set up breakfast and prepare coffee at the bottom of the dune. After breakfast we take a short drive to the parking lot where you will undertake a 2 hour walk through to the beautiful Hiddenvlei in the Sossusvlei Area or take an optional 4x4 transfer to deadvlei.
We stop for lunch at Sesriem camp, after which we will go and explore the Sesriem Canyon by foot, before heading back to our Guest Farm and hour away by transfer. Cycle 20km descending to Solitaire area passing huge granite boulders. Cycle around on the farm’s dirt track roads late afternoon or enjoy a visit to the cheetahs.
Meals included: breakfast, dinner
Overnight: camping at Solitaire Guest Farm.
Day 5: Namib Naukluft Park/Ganam Area (31 miles/50 km, transfer 81 miles/130km)
Some scientists regard the Namib Desert as the oldest in the world. We will cycle via the geologically interesting Gaub and Kuiseb Pass, home to two Germans surviving with their dog for two years during World War 2. Ostrich, springbok or gemsbok could cross our paths. Drive via the Ganab Plains and Bloedkoppe area with some true wild camping in the Namib Park.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch, dinner
Overnight: Camping in designated park site.
Day 6: Namib Naukluft Park - Swakopmund (31 miles/ 50 km)
We continue cycling in the Namib Naukluft Park where we will cycle the amazing moon landscape and visit the largest and oldest 1500 year old Welwitchia Mirabilis plant yet discovered set to be the oldest living plant in the world. Arriving lunchtime in the coastal town of Swakopmund set to be the adventure Capitol of Namibia. Enjoying some local fish dishes and exploring the town.
Meals included: breakfast
Overnight at lodge in Swakopmund.
Day 7: Swakopmund (Leisure day)
This day is a free day, opportunity to partake in optional adventure activities like Quad Biking, Sand Boarding, Sky diving and Dolphin Cruise. If you do not feel adventurous you can do some shopping or visit the Crystal Gallery, Museums or the Aquarium by foot. Optional ride along the salt roads.
Meals included: breakfast
Overnight at lodge in Swakopmund.
Day 8: Swakopmund - Spitzkoppe (37 miles/60 km)
Bike tour to the landmark of Namibia, the prominent peaks of the Granite Spitzkoppe that rises 1728m above the above the surrounding gravel plains. Short transfer to the Khan River lodge where local game species roam.
Meals included: breakfast, lunch
Overnight: camping at Khan River Lodge Camp.
Day 9: Khan River Lodge - Windhoek
We cycle in the morning on the farm spotting some local game species on dirt tracks. Transfer back to Windhoek where our amazing cycling trip will end. From here you can connect to another optional tour in Namibia with Mabaruli Safaris or optional extension to Cape Town. Departure.
Apr 4; Oct 3, 2014
|(This tour must have 5 people minimum)|
The hotels listed below are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
The tour features 3 nights of accommodation and 5 nights of camping. The accommodations are standard hotels, lodges or guesthouses usually with twin or single rooms and en suite facilities. The accommodations are simple and comfortable.
All campsites have good facilities with warm water showers and swimming pools and bars/shops.
Day 1: Arebush Travel Lodge
Day 2: Rooisand Guest Farm
Day 3: Full service camping, Sesriem
Day 4: Solitare Guest Farm
Day 5: Wild Camping in designated park site
Day 6 and 7: Lodge (see options below)
Day 8: Full service camping at Khan River Lodge Camp
Khorixas Lodge NWR
Waterberg National Park
Bikes available to be rented on this tour (reserved at time of booking):
Bikes come equipped with the following:
The tour company also offers for an additional fee:
Requests must be made in advance for rentals.
The tour features very wide gravel roads that continously gets scraped with a grader. Roads carry low amount of traffic. They are smooth gravel roads with small loose pebbles. Most of the terrain is flat, with occasional hills and all roads have great wide views of the terrain en scenary.
This tour is ideal for cyclists in good physical condition.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport: Hosea Kutaku International Airport
Hosea Kutaku International Airport is located 45km from Windhoek. Arrebush Travel Lodge is situated 3 miles/5km outside the city of Windhoek.
Transfers from Windhoek Airport to Arrebush Lodge in Windhoek are available for US$25 per person.
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
What does the greatest African wildlife recovery story ever told have to do with adventure tourism?
Adventure tourism needs space – and in Namibia, the nation is committed to protecting and sharing this precious resource.
Adventure tourism needs to challenge – to provide ways of testing and finding yourself.
But above all, adventure tourism needs to inspire.
In Namibia, endangered species are being moved from protected parks to communal land. Local people have a voice in the management of wildlife and thus a stake in its future, and the Ministry of Environment and Tourism is leading the way with progressive conservation policies and an expansive protected areas network.
Namibia has 42% of its land under conservation management. What could be more adventurous and more inspiring than that?
Experience Namibia, and let us inspire you.
Mabaruli African Safaris (Previously known as Gaylard Safaris) was established in 1987 in Southern Africa and run small group guided Safaris in Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and Zambia.
1. TOUR PRICES INCLUDES: Mabaruli African Safaris do attempt to make every effort to ensure that all agents and clients are fully aware of what costs are involved on each tour, and to avoid any surprise hidden costs. All safaris operated by Mabaruli African Safaris are sold as fully inclusive packages and include the following: All transport, accommodation (camping unless otherwise stated) and National Park entrance fees. Use of all camping equipment; including spacious two-man dome tents (high enough to stand in), comfortable folding chairs and thick foam mattresses. Meals as stated on the itinerary which is included. (Meals that is not included is on clients own expense to pay in restaurant.) Meals can be either in Lodge restaurants or Guides makes meals on the fire. The services of a trained safari guide. Cordial Juice, Coffee and Tea with included meals.
2. TOUR PRICES EXCLUDES Airport Taxes Flights, Visas and Insurance Alcohol, Soft Drinks and Bottled Water Tips, Gratuities, Spending money and all other items of a personal nature. Anything else that is not stated as included.
3. PRICE CHANGES Mabaruli African Safaris reserves the right to increase/decrease the price of any tour prior to departure due to factors beyond the control of the Company, such as, increase/decrease in accommodation price, fuel prices, new Government legislation and fluctuations in exchange rates.
4. RESERVATIONS, BOOKINGS & PAYMENTS - Direct Clients and Agencies: On confirmation of reservation a 20% deposit will be required from the client. This deposit will be refundable in accordance with Mabaruli’s Cancellation & Refunds policy, as below. Full payment is due in Mabaruli African Safari’s bank account no later than 40 days prior to departure date of client’s safari. All bookings made within 40 days prior the safari’s departure must be accompanied by full payment. If the full amount is not paid as stipulated by the client or agent prior to departure date of the tour, Mabaruli African Safaris may, at our own discretion and without notice, be entitled to regard the booking as cancelled.
5. MABARULI’S CANCELLATION & REFUND Cancellation of any booking must be received in writing and acknowledge by Mabaruli African Safaris. If a booking is cancelled with the consent of Mabaruli, the latter shall retain the full deposit. Cancellation charges will be levied as follows: 40 days prior to departure: 20% of the total 30 days prior to departure: 50% of the total 21 days prior to departure: 75% of the total 14 days prior to departure: 100% of the total In the event of you failing to join your tour, or join in or after the departure, or leave it prior to its completions, no reimbursement whatsoever will be made.
6. AMENDMENTS OR CANCELLATION BY MABARULI AFRICA SAFARIS: (i) Every effort will be made to operate all holidays as advertised. However, we do plan the arrangements many months in advance and occasionally we may have to make changes and we reserve the right to do so at any time. In very rare circumstances, such as insufficient numbers on safari holiday departures, Mabaruli African Safaris may have to cancel the whole or part of your holiday, up to four weeks prior to departure. In the event of any cancellation, Mabaruli African Safaris will endeavour to offer alternative arrangements of a comparable standard or, if possible, to make a full and prompt refund for all monies paid by client. (ii) In the rare event of cancellation becoming necessary within four weeks of departure date for reasons other than the force majeure circumstances Company cancels a holiday less than 15 days before departure, compensation of 10% of the holiday price (excluding insurance premiums, amendment charges and air fares) will be paid to you. (iii) Mabaruli African Safaris reserves the right to alter routes, schedules, itineraries, amenities and mode of transport, without prior notice, during the period of the holiday, due to circumstances or events which affect the stated intentions of the holiday. These influences may include, but are not limited to, sickness, mechanical breakdown, events emanating from political disputes, acts of terrorism (threatened or actual), entry of border difficulties, adverse weather conditions, earthquakes, and other unpredictable or unforeseeable circumstances.
7. TRAVEL INSURANCE Travel & cancellation insurance is compulsory on all tours with Mabaruli African Safaris. You should be covered in the event of cancellation or curtailment, death, any medical or rescue expenses, as well as for any loss of any personal items, money and baggage. Mabaruli African Safaris cannot be held responsible for covering any expenses that may arise while on, or as a result of, our tours.
8. DOCUMENTATION & HEALTH All passengers on Mabaruli’s tours will be personally responsible for ensuring that they are in possession of the correct documentation before departure. Mabaruli African Safaris does not accept responsibility for any consequences whatsoever from a passenger failing to ensure that she or he complied with the necessary health, passport & visa requirements. All participants must be in perfect health to undertake any safari or tour.
9. AUTHORITY ON TOUR The decisions of Mabaruli’s Tour Guide on tour shall at all times be final and binding. The client must at all times comply with the laws, customs and foreign exchange regulations in the visited country.
10. RISK ON TOUR The client accepts that all tours are of an adventurous nature and involve an element of personal risk. Neither Mabaruli African Safari nor any of its agents shall be liable in any way for any injury, loss of life or damage to property, howsoever caused and the client hereby indemnifies and holds the company, its agent, assigns, and servants harmless from any such claim.
11. INDEMNITY All participants travelling on a Mabaruli African Safari are required to complete and sign an indemnity form before joining the tour.
12. COMPLAINTS Should any passenger have a complaint while on tour, the clients must inform your Tour Guide in order that she/he may attempt to rectify the matter. Should the matter not be rectified whilst on tour, the clients should write to Mabaruli African Safaris as soon as possible, as the complaint must be received by Mabaruli within 30 days of completions of the tour in order that the matter may be investigated. Claims may not be considered outside that time. Mabaruli African Safaris will not entertain complaints due to Loss of Enjoyment where the full land arrangements have been provided.
13. TRANSPORT & GROUP SIZES Maximum group size are 12 clients Transport for 2 -3 clients can be in a Toyota 4x4 Hilux, Mercedes Benz Sprinter or Build Safari Truck. 3 and more clients, transport will be either in Mercedes Benz Sprinter or Custom Build Safari Truck Mabaruli African Safaris reserves the right to alter the transport on tours.