- LOOK model (until 2008)
- LOOK model Keo
- SPD Shimano Tourism
- SPD MTB
- Pedals MTB with lace
|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||60 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Mar 28-Jun 27; Aug 22-Oct 10, 2015 (minimum 2 persons)|
|Start city:||Montecatini Terme, Italy|
|End city:||Montecatini Terme, Italy|
Sport activity combined with overnights in culture and art cities like Volterra, San Gimignano, Siena and Florence. Enjoying the wines and the tasty Tuscan cooking will make your Tuscany bike tour just unforgettable!
You will experience all sides of Tuscany’s wonderful landscape, cycling in the hilly Volterra area and to the Mediterranean sea, through the Chianti region, where the “Chianti Classico” comes from, and to the wonderful Crete, in the south of Siena. Tuscany’s hilly landscape is the perfect place to begin or end a cycling season. The temperatures are perfect to cycle all the year round, so that many professional teams (such as T-Mobile Team) are already here in February to prepare themselves for the cycling season, following up the nice climate and the hilly land.
Each day you can choose between two routes from about 70km/45 miles up to about 115km/75 miles. You will stay two nights in each location and move from one place to the next every second day. This makes it possible to live every city more intensively with its surrounding, and, furthermore, you don’t have to pack every day. Thanks to the well-detailed route description and to signposting on the route, it will be a real pleasure to cycle on the tour.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Individual arrival at Montecatini Terme
Tour information provided and detailed tour briefing at your first hotel. Montecatini Terme is one of the most important spring towns in Italy. Many important people, like Giacomo Puccini and Giuseppe Verdi, used to spend their time in the little town to enjoy the curative properties of this already in ancient times famous water.
In Montecatini it is possible to visit the gorgeous “Terme Tettuccio” or to take one of the oldest funicular in Italy “Funicolare”(1898), visiting the old town Montecatini Alto. From there you can enjoy the wonderful view on the “Val di Nievole” valley and on the Apennines Mountains. The old, charming, medieval square “Piazza Giusti” offers you the possibility to drink a good glass of wine or to enjoy a delicious “gelato”, choosing the best way to end your cycling day!
Overnight in Montecatini Terme.
Day 2: Montecatini Terme (43-49 miles, 1968-2625 feet gained/70-80 km, 600-800 hm gained)
From the spring town Montecatini Terme, in the north of Tuscany, you cycle to medieval city of Montecarlo surrounded with vineyards. First you will cycle in the flat lands of the nature reserve of “Padule di Fucecchio” and then cycling on through the light hilly Montecarlo area with his vineyards and olive groves.
The longer tours leads you to Massa and to the beginning of the Apennin mountains.
Overnight in Montecatini Terme.
Day 3: Montecatini Terme - Volterra (56-68 miles, 4265-5249 ft gained/90-110 km, 1300-1600 hm gained)
The stage leads you today through nature reserves and wooded countries, passing the “Arnovalley”, little medieval towns and cycling on to the south. Enjoying the typical Tuscan landscape, you reach your destination Volterra (531m/ about 1742feet).
The medieval city Volterra is very famous for its art handicraft with alabaster. The city discloses the Tuscan history from the Etruscan, through the Romans to the late middle ages and the Renaissance. The city is situated on the back of a mountain right in the middle of the Tuscan landscape. Thanks to its impressive position, according to the weather, you can enjoy a wonderful view from the Apuan Alps to the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Overnight in Volterra.
Day 4: Volterra – Marina di Cecina - Volterra (56-65 miles, 4593 ft gained/90-105 km, 1400 hm gained)
Enjoying the wonderful view, you cycle from Volterra through the “Cecina” valley to the Etruscan Coast “Costa degli Etruschi.” The beach and the blue Mediterranean Sea in Marina di Cecina will welcome you after the efforts of this first part of the tour!
Overnight in Volterra.
Day 5: Volterra - Siena (50-59 miles, 3937-4921 ft gained/80-95 km, 1200-1500 hm gained)
The stage of today leads you at first to the city “of the Gender Towers ” San Gimignano. The socalled “Manhattan of Tuscany” is a little medieval town, which invites you to stay here for a longer time.
On the second part of the stage you cycle through the vineyards “Colli Senesi”, passing by the castle of Monteriggioni to your destination Siena. The city of the Gothic Siena is a UNESCO World Heritage site and just few cities could preserve their medieval aspect so intact like Siena.
The Gothic cathedral "Santa Maria” is just one of the many sights that Siena offers. You can appreciate its magnificent facade and admire the paintings inside, that make it the richest Church of the Christianity. In the middle of the city alleys one of the greatest Italian medieval Squares, the “Piazza del Campo,” opens out, like a theatre. The famous horserace “Palio” takes place in this square twice a year.
Overnight in Siena.
Day 6: Siena - Asciano - Siena (56-68 miles, 4593-5577 ft gained/90-110 km, 1400-1700 hm gained)
You cycle to the south of Siena, discovering the bizarre landscape of the Crete. On lonesome asphalt roads and enjoying the wonderful view, you cycle through Asciano to the wooded country “Montagnola”. On the last miles you can already see your destination Siena, the city of “Palio”.
Overnight in Siena.
Day 7: Siena – Montecatini Terme (68-75 miles, 3937-4757 ft gained/110-120 km, 1200-1450 hm gained)
Wonderful tour passing the wine region of “Chianti Classico” which is like a great garden of wine mountains, forest, cypress- and olive groves. In the afternoon you will stop in the village birth village of Leonardo da Vinci and go on to the wine region of Montalbano and back to Montecatini Terme.
Overnight in Montecatini Terme.
Day 8: Departure
Saturdays: Mar 28-Jun 27; Aug 22-Oct 10, 2015 (minimum 2 persons)
Note: Local hotes taxes are not included and will be €1-5 per day.
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Days 1 and 2:Hotel Croce di Malta, Montecatini Terme
Days 3 and 4: Hotel San Lino, Volterra
Days 5 and 6: Hotel Italia, Siena
Day 7: Hotel Croce di Malta, Montecatini Terme
Many local hotels in this region will charge a small tax (€1-5 per night), payable locally at reception upon checkout.
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented for this tour:
Equipment provided with road bike rental at no additional charge:
These pedal-systems available for this tour include:
Please indicate at time of booking which pedal system you would prefer. At booking you may also let us know if you intend to bring your own pedals.
If you wish to bring your own bike seat, please ensure that it is a universal seat post.
Helmets are not provided for rent with this tour. We recommend, for safety and hygiene reasons, that you bring your own bicycle helmet or plan to purchase one upon arrival.
Tuscany has a typical hilly landscape and therefore, apart from some longer climbs and more level ground districts, the tour profile is characterized by a continuous up and down. The routes are on mostly good asphalt roads, far from causeways. You may happen to encounter more traffic when entering or leaving a city.
Tour start and end
Nearest Airports: Pisa or Florence (FLO), Italy
Nearest train station: Montecatini Terme, Italy
Train tickets from Florence or Pisa to Montecatini Terme cost about €5.
If you drive, parking is available in the hotel parking lot (about €50/week) or public street parking (€3/day).
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Of all European countries, none draws visitors over and over again like Italy. A peninsula extending into the Mediterranean Sea, Italy consists of 21 diverse regions of rolling hills, vineyards, mountains, lakes, cliffs and islands. Each region has its unique charm, but all share the ‘Italian’ view that life should be taken at a slow pace with time to enjoy conversation, food and drink. Together, Italy’s regions boast the highest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the world. Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi and Pisa are a few of the country's renowned cities along with Italy’s 95,000 monumental churches, 40,000 forts and castles and 5,600 museums and archaeological sites. Whether you ride a gondola through Venice’s Grand Canal, stroll along Lake Como or visit the Coliseum in Rome, the opportunities are endless when visiting Italy.
We are located in Salzburg, Austria, and offer tours in Austria, Switzerland, Germany.
Cycling, walking, sailing, cruising.... all over Europe. Around the active programs we offer city breaks, mountain hotels, beach hotels and multi sport programs.
We are offering guided and self guided walking and cycling holidays all around Europe. Enjoy famous destinations like the Danube, Tuscany, Dolomites, and the Alps.
Cancellation through the customer / substitute participant / change in booking
The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. BestSellerTravel can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50, for the change in booking.
Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50, -- for each change in booking.
When booking a journey
The customer offers BestSellerTravel GmbH the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when BestSellerTravel or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current BestSellerTravel-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
Liability and restriction of liability
1. BestSellerTravel is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective hauler (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither willfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200, -- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who BestSellerTravel is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress: If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. BestSellerTravel can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at the travel guide or us. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price: After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. On time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform BestSellerTravel immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. Of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile / applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue BestSellerTravel only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.
All journey and accommodation reservations and the exhibition of journey coupons are carried out by BestSellerTravel GmbH as a mediator of journeys. The customer money safeguarding in accordance with EU ordinance is carried out by the organizers of the respective programs.
Exclusion of liability for contents of the online supply
The author takes on no liability for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the provided information. Which was caused by the use or not use of the presented information or by the use of faulty and incomplete information liability claim against the author which refer to damages of material or ideational type in principle is excluded provided that on the part of the author there isn't a provably deliberate or roughly negligent fault.
All offers are without engagement and subject to confirmation. The author particularly reserves for himself to change parts of the sides or the complete offer without a separate announcement to complete, to delete or to stop the publication at times or definitely.
Reprimands and links
At direct or indirect references to strange internet pages ("links") which are outside the responsibility area of the author a liability obligation would become effective exclusively in the case in which the author of the contents has knowledge and it would be technically possible for it and reasonable to prevent, the use in the case of illegal contents.
The author particularly therefore explains that at the time of the link setting the appropriate interlinked sides were free of illegal contents. The author has no influence on the current and future design and on the contents of the conned/connected sides. Therefore he particularly hereby dissociates himself from all contents of all connected sides which were changed to the link setting. This observation applies to all links put within the Internet supply of one's own and reprimands as well as to from outside entries in visitor's books established by the author, discussion fore and mailing lists. For illegal, faulty or incomplete contents and particularly for damages which result from the use or not use of information presented the supplier of the side is liable.
Originator and characteristic right
The author endeavors to observe the copyrights of the used graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts, to be of use graphics, clay documents, prepared by him himself for video sequences and texts or to go back to license free graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in all publications.
All brands and mentioned within the Internet supply and protected by third parties if necessary trademarks are absolutely subject to the regulations of the respectively valid characteristic right and the possession rights of the respective registered owners. Alone due to the bare mentioning the end doesn't have to be drawn that trademarks aren't protected by rights of third parties!
The copyright for objects published, made by the author stays alone with the author of the sides. A copy or use of such graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in other electronic or printed publications isn't allowed without an express consent of the author.
On the right effectiveness of this exclusion of liability
This exclusion of liability is as a part of the Internet offer to look by which this side out was referred to. Provided that parts or single wordings of this text should correspond to the current legal position not, no more or not completely, the other parts of the document remain untouched in her contents and their validity of this.