|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||35 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Sundays: Apr 6-Oct 12, 2014|
|Start city:||Sirmione or Desenzano, Italy|
|End city:||Sirmione, Italy|
Culture, wine and Lake Garda are the perfect ingredients for "La Dolce Vita." Welcome to a cycle tour that will spoil your senses with high arts and culture in the cities of Trento, Verona, Brescia and Mantua. Not only will you cycle by the palaces in the city of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, you will also cycle by Trento's Cathedral, Brescia's Roman Capitolium and Mantua's Piazza Sordello.
Then there is Lake Garda, the enchanting blue-green lake ideal for resting, relaxing or enjoying a refreshing swim. Enjoy the local flavor with regional wines, including Valpolicella, Lambrusco, Bardolino and Lugana, which grow in the surrounding area. Experience all of this without having to pack a suitcase every day, as you stay in one hotel that serves as the base for this breathtaking bicycle tour of Lake Garda.
About BikeTourDirect's self-guided tours
Not sure which type of tour to book? Learn about the differences between guided and self-guided tours.
Day 1: Individual arrival
Welcome, information briefing and distribution of bikes. You can spend the evening strolling through Sirmione.
Day 2: Trento (31 miles/50 km + boat tour)
The day begins with a minivan transfer to Trento, famous for its old town, cathedral and Buonconsiglio Castle. From Trento, you cycle along the Adige River via Rovereto to Mori. At Mori the route leaves the river, cycling west to Lake Garda. After a brief climb you cycle down to the lake and on to Torbole and Riva. The day ends with a boat tour across the lake, returning to Sirmione.
Day 3: Verona (35 miles/55 km)
After a minivan or train transfer to Verona, you can enjoy a stroll through the city of Romeo and Juliet. Over soft hills, past cypress trees and vineyards, you cycle from Verona to the south bank of Lake Garda.
Day 4: Mantua (41 miles/65 km)
Today's route follows wonderful paths along the Mincio River southwards to Mantua. The 1,000-year old city of the Gonzaga will enchant you with its fabulous art and beauty. Visit such sites as the Castello San Giorgio, Palazzo Ducale, Piazza Sordello with the house of Rigoletto, Cathedral and Rotunde san Lorenzo. You return to Sirmione by train.
Day 5: Excursion into the history of Italy (31 miles/50 km)
Today you follow solitary roads through vineyards, peach orchards and kiwi plantations to Solferino. It is at Solferino that Garibaldi won the famous “Battle of Solferino” that united Italy. On the return journey, you cycle to Lake Garda through Lugana, a well-known wine area.
Day 6: Brescia (37 miles/60 km)
Leaving Sirmione you cycle to Cavalgese di Riviera with unforgettable views of the lake. Along Naviglio Grande Bresciano, a canal cycle path, you continue to Brescia, a city of Roman origin. You return to Sirmione by train.
Day 7: Departure
Departure or extra days on Lake Garda.
We now have 2015 information for some tours. Please contact us to inquire if you don't see 2015 dates and prices here.
Sundays: Apr 6-Oct 12, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 6-Apr 12; Oct 5-Oct 12, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||Apr 13-Apr 26; Sep 21-Oct 4, 2014|
|High season:||Apr 27-Sep 20, 2014|
|Hotel Lido International, Desenzano (4-star)|
|Hotel Suisse, Sirmione (3-star)|
Note: Visitor's taxes at the hotels are not included in the tour price. Be prepared to pay €2-5 per night at hotel reception.
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Hotel Lido International, Desenzano
This 4-star hotel was renovated recently and is within a few minutes walk to Desenzano's beautiful harbour. The rooms are equipped with balcony and lake view. The hotel features a beautiful terrace, sunbathing area, a splendid pool and private beach to assure a great stay for your bike tour.
Hotel Suisse, Sirmione
This 3-star hotel is located in Sirmione. All rooms are renovated quite recently with new warm colors that give a comfortable atmosphere. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, telephone, TV and bath/toilet. From the room's balcony you can enjoy a beautiful view onto the lake. After a bicycle day you can relax in the new pool. The sun terrace invites you for having breakfast or for taking an “Aperitivo”.
Note: Visitor's taxes at the hotels in this region are not included in the tour price. Be prepared to pay €2-5 per night at hotel reception.
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented (in advance at the time of booking) include:
All above bike rentals will be equipped with the following at no additional charge:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can buy a helmet (not rent) from the tour company for 35 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new UVEX I-VO helmet. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking*. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own well-fitted helmet
*Please note that helmets must be purchased at the time of booking, and in the case of short time frame bookings, they may not be available to be purchased.
Additional specifications on the Hybrid touring bikes:
Additional specifications on the Electrically assisted bikes:
A Pedelec is an electrically assisted bike which assists you only when pedaling. You can turn the motor on/off, and also increase the amount of assistance you would like depending on the terrain. The motor is fixed in the bottom bracket of the bike, right in front of the rear tire, and can assist you up to a speed of 15 miles/hour (25 km/hr). The supply of energy comes from a removable battery, which can last for up to 50 miles (80 kms). An additional battery is provided too, just to make sure that you always have power (you can charge batteries each night at the hotels). The weight of the e-bike is approximately 50 pounds (23 kgs). It has an illuminated LCD display, cycle computer, and wattage display.
The terrain of this tour ranges from flat to undulating. The route follows primarily cycle paths, minor roads and some country lanes. Only short sections are on roads with more traffic; when entering and exciting the cities, heavier traffic is to be expected.
This tour is ideal for cyclists in average physical condition.
"We had a very, very nice week in Italy. Weather was great - actually it was very hot, almost too hot. The only thing you could do is ride a bicycle! Cycling 50-65 km. in that heat, you better be in some kind of shape to manage that.
"Hotel Lido International was a little family hotel, quiet, nice and clean. Staff was very friendly, beach was good for swimming, and the placement in Dezensano very good, only 1.5 km from the railway station.
"Special thanks for [the operator's] road-marks (small colored arrows). They were placed very well, and they helped a lot. We didn't have these marks in a tour we did last year, and we think that these arrows made cycling much easier and we enjoyed cycling more. Very good thing."
- Pekka and Kirsi (Finland)
"The Trento bike route was fabulous! Mostly biking trails. This spoiled us for the rest of the trip. The young guides that took us there were fun and knowledgeable. We got lost on one route and ended up on a busy highway, not the expressway type of road, but it did have large trucks that scared us. We liked the close proximity of each town from Desenzano and the train passes. We were very glad that we spent the night in Verona - a charming town and easy to find your way around - before departing back to Rome.
"The hotel was delightful. Everyone one was quite helpful. Good food and nice rooms with balconies. A bit noisy at times, but a wonderful spot with spectacular views of Lake Garda. The taxi driver was always on time and had all the modern and convenient technology of a Garmin. This made it easy for him to find where he needed to take us. A fantastic experience!!"
- LaDonna C.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Verona, Italy
Nearest train station: via Verona to Desenzano, Italy
You can take one of numerous taxis or buses from Verona to Sirmione.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Of all European countries, none draws visitors over and over again like Italy. A peninsula extending into the Mediterranean Sea, Italy consists of 21 diverse regions of rolling hills, vineyards, mountains, lakes, cliffs and islands. Each region has its unique charm, but all share the ‘Italian’ view that life should be taken at a slow pace with time to enjoy conversation, food and drink. Together, Italy’s regions boast the highest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the world. Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi and Pisa are a few of the country's renowned cities along with Italy’s 95,000 monumental churches, 40,000 forts and castles and 5,600 museums and archaeological sites. Whether you ride a gondola through Venice’s Grand Canal, stroll along Lake Como or visit the Coliseum in Rome, the opportunities are endless when visiting Italy.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.