|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||35 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Sundays: Apr 6-Oct 12, 2014|
|Start city:||Sirmione, Italy|
|End city:||Sirmione, Italy|
Culture, wine and Lake Garda are the perfect ingredients for "La Dolce Vita." Welcome to a cycle tour that will spoil your senses with high arts and culture in the cities of Trento, Verona, Brescia and Mantua. Not only will you cycle by the palaces in the city of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, you will also cycle by Trento's Cathedral, Brescia's Roman Capitolium and Mantua's Piazza Sordello.
Then there is Lake Garda, the enchanting blue-green lake ideal for resting, relaxing or enjoying a refreshing swim. Enjoy the local flavor with regional wines, including Valpolicella, Lambrusco, Bardolino and Lugana, which grow in the surrounding area. Experience all of this without having to pack a suitcase every day, as you stay in one hotel that serves as the base for this breathtaking bicycle tour of Lake Garda.
About BikeTourDirect's self-guided tours
Not sure which type of tour to book? Learn about the differences between guided and self-guided tours.
Day 1: Individual arrival
Welcome, information briefing and distribution of bikes. You can spend the evening strolling through Sirmione.
Day 2: Trento (31 miles/50 km + boat tour)
The day begins with a minivan transfer to Trento, famous for its old town, cathedral and Buonconsiglio Castle. From Trento, you cycle along the Adige River via Rovereto to Mori. At Mori the route leaves the river, cycling west to Lake Garda. After a brief climb you cycle down to the lake and on to Torbole and Riva. The day ends with a boat tour across the lake, returning to Sirmione.
Day 3: Verona (35 miles/55 km)
After a minivan or train transfer to Verona, you can enjoy a stroll through the city of Romeo and Juliet. Over soft hills, past cypress trees and vineyards, you cycle from Verona to the south bank of Lake Garda.
Day 4: Mantua (41 miles/65 km)
Today's route follows wonderful paths along the Mincio River southwards to Mantua. The 1,000-year old city of the Gonzaga will enchant you with its fabulous art and beauty. Visit such sites as the Castello San Giorgio, Palazzo Ducale, Piazza Sordello with the house of Rigoletto, Cathedral and Rotunde san Lorenzo. You return to Sirmione by train.
Day 5: Excursion into the history of Italy (31 miles/50 km)
Today you follow solitary roads through vineyards, peach orchards and kiwi plantations to Solferino. It is at Solferino that Garibaldi won the famous “Battle of Solferino” that united Italy. On the return journey, you cycle to Lake Garda through Lugana, a well-known wine area.
Day 6: Brescia (37 miles/60 km)
Leaving Sirmione you cycle to Cavalgese di Riviera with unforgettable views of the lake. Along Naviglio Grande Bresciano, a canal cycle path, you continue to Brescia, a city of Roman origin. You return to Sirmione by train.
Day 7: Departure
Departure or extra days on Lake Garda.
Sundays: Apr 6-Oct 12, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 6-Apr 12; Oct 5-Oct 12, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||Apr 13-Apr 26; Sep 21-Oct 4, 2014|
|High season:||Apr 27-Sep 20, 2014|
|Hotel Lido International, Desenzano (4-star)|
|Hotel Suisse, Sirmione (3-star)|
Note: Visitor's taxes at the hotels are not included in the tour price. Be prepared to pay €2-5 per night at hotel reception.
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Hotel Lido International, Desenzano
This 4-star hotel was renovated recently and is within a few minutes walk to Desenzano's beautiful harbour. The rooms are equipped with balcony and lake view. The hotel features a beautiful terrace, sunbathing area, a splendid pool and private beach to assure a great stay for your bike tour.
Hotel Suisse, Sirmione
This 3-star hotel is located in Sirmione. All rooms are renovated quite recently with new warm colors that give a comfortable atmosphere. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, telephone, TV and bath/toilet. From the room's balcony you can enjoy a beautiful view onto the lake. After a bicycle day you can relax in the new pool. The sun terrace invites you for having breakfast or for taking an “Aperitivo”.
Note: Visitor's taxes at the hotels in this region are not included in the tour price. Be prepared to pay €2-5 per night at hotel reception.
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented (in advance at the time of booking) include:
All above bike rentals will be equipped with the following at no additional charge:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can buy a helmet (not rent) from the tour company for 35 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new UVEX I-VO helmet. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking*. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own well-fitted helmet
*Please note that helmets must be purchased at the time of booking, and in the case of short time frame bookings, they may not be available to be purchased.
Additional specifications on the Hybrid touring bikes:
Additional specifications on the Electrically assisted bikes:
A Pedelec is an electrically assisted bike which assists you only when pedaling. You can turn the motor on/off, and also increase the amount of assistance you would like depending on the terrain. The motor is fixed in the bottom bracket of the bike, right in front of the rear tire, and can assist you up to a speed of 15 miles/hour (25 km/hr). The supply of energy comes from a removable battery, which can last for up to 50 miles (80 kms). An additional battery is provided too, just to make sure that you always have power (you can charge batteries each night at the hotels). The weight of the e-bike is approximately 50 pounds (23 kgs). It has an illuminated LCD display, cycle computer, and wattage display.
The terrain of this tour ranges from flat to undulating. The route follows primarily cycle paths, minor roads and some country lanes. Only short sections are on roads with more traffic; when entering and exciting the cities, heavier traffic is to be expected.
This tour is ideal for cyclists in average physical condition.
"We had a very, very nice week in Italy. Weather was great - actually it was very hot, almost too hot. The only thing you could do is ride a bicycle! Cycling 50-65 km. in that heat, you better be in some kind of shape to manage that.
"Hotel Lido International was a little family hotel, quiet, nice and clean. Staff was very friendly, beach was good for swimming, and the placement in Dezensano very good, only 1.5 km from the railway station.
"Special thanks for [the operator's] road-marks (small colored arrows). They were placed very well, and they helped a lot. We didn't have these marks in a tour we did last year, and we think that these arrows made cycling much easier and we enjoyed cycling more. Very good thing."
- Pekka and Kirsi (Finland)
"The Trento bike route was fabulous! Mostly biking trails. This spoiled us for the rest of the trip. The young guides that took us there were fun and knowledgeable. We got lost on one route and ended up on a busy highway, not the expressway type of road, but it did have large trucks that scared us. We liked the close proximity of each town from Desenzano and the train passes. We were very glad that we spent the night in Verona - a charming town and easy to find your way around - before departing back to Rome.
"The hotel was delightful. Everyone one was quite helpful. Good food and nice rooms with balconies. A bit noisy at times, but a wonderful spot with spectacular views of Lake Garda. The taxi driver was always on time and had all the modern and convenient technology of a Garmin. This made it easy for him to find where he needed to take us. A fantastic experience!!"
- LaDonna C.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Verona, Italy
Nearest train station: via Verona to Desenzano, Italy
You can take one of numerous taxis or buses from Verona to Sirmione.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Of all European countries, none draws visitors over and over again like Italy. A peninsula extending into the Mediterranean Sea, Italy consists of 21 diverse regions of rolling hills, vineyards, mountains, lakes, cliffs and islands. Each region has its unique charm, but all share the ‘Italian’ view that life should be taken at a slow pace with time to enjoy conversation, food and drink. Together, Italy’s regions boast the highest number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the world. Rome, Florence, Venice, Assisi and Pisa are a few of the country's renowned cities along with Italy’s 95,000 monumental churches, 40,000 forts and castles and 5,600 museums and archaeological sites. Whether you ride a gondola through Venice’s Grand Canal, stroll along Lake Como or visit the Coliseum in Rome, the opportunities are endless when visiting Italy.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.