|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||37 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Daily: Apr 26-Oct 18, 2014 (minimum 2 participants)|
|Start city:||Erfurt, Germany|
|End city:||Erfurt, Germany|
The heart of Germany displays a varied wealth of nature; deep forests, picturesque valleys, rivers and mountains combine to make a delightful biking tour.
Wherever you go, you'll find delectable regional cuisine and heartfelt hospitality. For cultural delights, you'll visit famous places such as Weimar, Erfurt, Jena and Eisenach. This tour is truly a cultural experience.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival to Erfurt
Erfurt is the capital city of the state of Thuringia (Thüringen) located in the "green heart of Germany". The first documentary reference to Erfurt dates back to 742 AD. The city has grown from a small but thriving center for commerce at the intersection of medieval trading routes to an important commercial center. Erfurt also has a fine university. Visit the sites of great historical value, such as the Augustinian Monastery, where Martin Luther had his study, or the Kaufmannshkirche, where Johann Sebastian Bach’s parents were married, or the Kaisersaal and Staatskanzlei, which were the Chancelleries of Alexander and Napoleon.
Overnight in Erfurt
Day 2: Erfurt – Weimar (13 mi/22 km)
You’ll depart Erfurt via Krämerbrücke, the longest populated bridge-road of Erfurt at 393 ft/120 m and with 32 houses on it. Wealthy patrician houses and lovingly maintained half-timbered houses form a charming ensemble. The monumental Mariendom and Severi church stand out above it all. Say farewell to Erfurt and embrace a completely different scene as you pass by little villages with cozy beer gardens that will entice you with their various delicacies.
Through farm country you’ll cycle on the Thüringer Städteradweg to Weimar – the true center of Germany. So many great names are connected to Weimar: Goethe, Schiller, Herder, Wieland, Lucas Cranach, Johann Sebastian Bach, Franz Liszt. Museums and monuments remember the historic moments. Today Weimar is a culturally rich center of art and science.
Overnight in Weimar
Day 3: Weimar (38 mi/62 m)
Follow the footsteps of poets and philosophers. A short train transfer to Jena can be followed by a sightseeing tour of this university town. Many famous scholars lectured at the university, which was founded in 1558. Goethe was one of the supporters and Schiller lectured here. Ernst Abbe and Carl Zeiss worked on their epoch-making discoveries in optics. Jena also possesses the world’s oldest planetarium.
Continue on Saale river bike path through varied landscapes, past fortresses, castles, churches and historic mills. Bike along the river through the vineyards of Thuringia on quiet minor roads and asphalted cycle paths before you change to Ilm valley bike path, which takes you into the heart of Thuringia. Places like Apolda, Bad Sulza and Domburg have well preserved their unique character.
Overnight in Weimar
Day 4: Weimar – Arnstadt (37 m/60 km)
Bike along the Ilm valley bike path until you reach Thüringer Forest. You’ll enjoy a rest at the reservoir Hohefelden, have a picnic lunch and maybe a swim. Continue on the Städteradweg bike path to Arnstadt, an historic old town with lovely atmosphere.
Overnight in Arnstadt
Day 5: Arnstadt – Eisenach (40 mi/65 km)
You’ll follow the City bike path, a slightly undulating route to Eisenach. The intimidating castle Friedenstein dominates the city of Gotha. The castle is the largest early baroque castle of Germany and houses the oldest baroque theatre of Europe in its west tower. The Ekhof Theatre prides itself with completely preserverd stage mechanics from the year 1681. The castle museum exhibits a substantial collection of porcelain and a picture gallery. Also, be sure to view the art collection of the Dukes of Sachsen-Coburg and Gotha.
A further attraction of the historic old town is a beautiful ensemble of townhouses around the main market square and the historic town hall, which you should not miss. Bike beside sunflower fields, through shady forests and past idyllic villages. As always, wherever you go, Thuringia’s cuisine and hospitality are there. Do not miss the famous dumplings and sausages.
Overnight in Eisenach
Day 6: Eisenach – Mühlhausen (42 mi/67 km)
Today you’ll follow the Werra-Cycle path. Along the river you’ll cycle through varied scenes: idyllic river meadows, forests and cultural heritage. The ride starts with the wild and idyllic Werra breakthrough – a region with an exceptional variety of orchids. The intimidating fortress, Normannstein, towers over Trettfurt and then you continue to Mühlhausen, the city of gates and churches. The 59 spires and the fortification wall inspired the city’s nickname, Mulhusia Turrita. The elaborate architecture and overall layout of the town with its completely preserved city wall, accessible to visitors, offer a glimpse into the history of this once wealthy imperial city.
Overnight in Mühlhausen
Day 7: Mühlhausen – Erfurt (40-48 mi/65-78 km)
Today you cross the center of Germany by way of Hainich, a nature park, and then proceed on a shortcut called ot Unstrut. Long Option: Stop at Hainich, walk the “Tree Top Route”, a boardwalk at canopy level that affords a spectacular view over the top of a beech forest and across the large plain, Thüringer Becken. Both options join again and then you continue to Bad Langensalza with its almost completely preserved city wall, as well as townhouses and guild houses from the 8th century. This place truly is a historic gem. Visit the rose garden, botanical garden and Japanese garden. Via the Unstrut cycle path you reach your destination in Erfurt, capital of Thuringia.
Overnight in Erfurt
Day 8: Erfurt
You may either depart or arrange for to spend more time in this beautiful city.
Daily: Apr 26-Oct 18, 2014 (minimum 2 participants)
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Radisson Blue, Erfurt
Hotel Kaiserin, Weimar
Sophie Hotel, Eisenach
Brauhaus zum Loewen, Mühlhausen
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available for rent on this tour (must be reserved in advance at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring your own helmet, or buy one upon arrival, for safety and hygiene purposes.
*We strongly recommend that our American clients rent the 21-speed hybrid touring bike with hand brakes, as it is similar to the typical American bike. The 7-speed hybrid bike with back-pedal brakes will be unfamiliar to most American customers.
This tour is mostly on cycle paths and quiet minor roads, in the heart of Thuringia's undulating terrain, along rivers. More than 50% of the cycle paths are new.
The tour is moderately challenging and is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport: Erfurt (ERF)
Nearest train station: Erfurt
The Erfurt Airport (Flughafen Erfurt) is the only international airport in the state, as well as providing access to frequent flights to large cities such as Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. In addition, the Erfurt Airport is directly attached to the city center through Tram Number 4, in the direction of the Hauptfriedhof. The Tram Stop, called Flughafen/Airport, is located right in front of the terminal.
Erfurt's main railway station is in the center of the city and is a stopping point for InterCity/EuroCity, InterCity Express and CityNightLine services.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
We are located in Salzburg, Austria, and offer tours in Austria, Switzerland, Germany.
Cycling, walking, sailing, cruising.... all over Europe. Around the active programs we offer city breaks, mountain hotels, beach hotels and multi sport programs.
We are offering guided and self guided walking and cycling holidays all around Europe. Enjoy famous destinations like the Danube, Tuscany, Dolomites, and the Alps.
Cancellation through the customer / substitute participant / change in booking
The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. BestSellerTravel can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50, for the change in booking.
Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50, -- for each change in booking.
When booking a journey
The customer offers BestSellerTravel GmbH the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when BestSellerTravel or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current BestSellerTravel-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
Liability and restriction of liability
1. BestSellerTravel is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective hauler (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither willfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200, -- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who BestSellerTravel is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress: If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. BestSellerTravel can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at the travel guide or us. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price: After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. On time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform BestSellerTravel immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. Of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile / applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue BestSellerTravel only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.
All journey and accommodation reservations and the exhibition of journey coupons are carried out by BestSellerTravel GmbH as a mediator of journeys. The customer money safeguarding in accordance with EU ordinance is carried out by the organizers of the respective programs.
Exclusion of liability for contents of the online supply
The author takes on no liability for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the provided information. Which was caused by the use or not use of the presented information or by the use of faulty and incomplete information liability claim against the author which refer to damages of material or ideational type in principle is excluded provided that on the part of the author there isn't a provably deliberate or roughly negligent fault.
All offers are without engagement and subject to confirmation. The author particularly reserves for himself to change parts of the sides or the complete offer without a separate announcement to complete, to delete or to stop the publication at times or definitely.
Reprimands and links
At direct or indirect references to strange internet pages ("links") which are outside the responsibility area of the author a liability obligation would become effective exclusively in the case in which the author of the contents has knowledge and it would be technically possible for it and reasonable to prevent, the use in the case of illegal contents.
The author particularly therefore explains that at the time of the link setting the appropriate interlinked sides were free of illegal contents. The author has no influence on the current and future design and on the contents of the conned/connected sides. Therefore he particularly hereby dissociates himself from all contents of all connected sides which were changed to the link setting. This observation applies to all links put within the Internet supply of one's own and reprimands as well as to from outside entries in visitor's books established by the author, discussion fore and mailing lists. For illegal, faulty or incomplete contents and particularly for damages which result from the use or not use of information presented the supplier of the side is liable.
Originator and characteristic right
The author endeavors to observe the copyrights of the used graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts, to be of use graphics, clay documents, prepared by him himself for video sequences and texts or to go back to license free graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in all publications.
All brands and mentioned within the Internet supply and protected by third parties if necessary trademarks are absolutely subject to the regulations of the respectively valid characteristic right and the possession rights of the respective registered owners. Alone due to the bare mentioning the end doesn't have to be drawn that trademarks aren't protected by rights of third parties!
The copyright for objects published, made by the author stays alone with the author of the sides. A copy or use of such graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in other electronic or printed publications isn't allowed without an express consent of the author.
On the right effectiveness of this exclusion of liability
This exclusion of liability is as a part of the Internet offer to look by which this side out was referred to. Provided that parts or single wordings of this text should correspond to the current legal position not, no more or not completely, the other parts of the document remain untouched in her contents and their validity of this.