|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||29 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Daily: Apr 12-Oct 12, 2014|
|Start city:||Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany|
|End city:||Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, Germany|
On this tour you will cycle pass castles and fortresses set amid almond, cherry and apple trees along the Neckar River, Rhine River and German Wine Street. The region's mild and Mediterranean climate permits kiwi, figs, wine and tobacco to grow along the roads. You will visit such historic cities as Bad Bergzabern, Rastatt and Heidelberg, where you can experience the region's legendary hospitality and excellent local cuisine.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Neustadt/Weinstrasse
Upon arriving in Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, check into your hotel and attend a welcome briefing and get your rental bike. Neustadt is Germany’s secret wine capital featuring cornered alleys, a mighty collegiate church and Elwetritsch fountain.
Overnight in Neustadt an der Weinstrasse
Day 2: Neustadt/Weinstrasse – Bad Bergzabern (28 mi/45 km)
Today you'll cycle through idyllic wine-growing towns each with their own unique atmosphere. Visit medieval merchant homes, town squares and enjoy a wonderful view of the Rhine valley from Landeck Fortress. In Bad Bergzabern you can visit the Baroque Castle, historic Engel Inn, and West Wall Museum.
Overnight in Bad Bergzabern
Day 3: Bad Bergzabern – Rastatt (40 mi/65 km)
Today, you'll pass the wine gate in Schweigen and get to the Alsace city of Wissembourg with its former Benedictine abbey. You will enjoy a leisurely bike ride through the Bienwald forest and the Lautertal valley to the river Rhine. At the end of your day you will get to the impressive baroque residence in Rastatt.
Overnight in Rastatt.
Day 4: Rastatt – Germersheim (34 mi/55 km)
Today's route follows the Rhine River into the old residential city of Karlsruhe with a castle and pyramid. Other highlights of the day include cycling through Pflaz, the largest natural reserve, and the Hördter Rhine-meadows. The last stop of the day is the old fortified city of Germersheim.
Overnight in Germersheim
Day 5: Germersheim – Heidelberg (31 mi/50 km)
The Rhine River, affectionately called the Old Father, is your companion on the way to Speyer's intimidating cathedral, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The famous castle and park in Schwetzingen is another highlight before you reach Heidelberg, the oldest German University city.
Overnight in Heidelberg
Day 6: Heidelberg – Worms (28 mi/45 km)
You'll bike along the Neckar River to Ladenburg, boasting over 2,000 years of cultural history. Visit St. Peter's Cathedral in the imperial city of Worms, along with the Martin Luther monument and Europe's largest Jewish cemetery.
Overnight in Worms
Day 7: Worms – Bad Dürkheim (28 mi/45 km)
Today's route approaches the northern part of German Wine Street. The Medieval fortress villages of Leuleinigen and Freinsheim are worth visiting. You can also see the world's largest wine barrel in Bad Dürkheim, the day's final stop.
Overnight in Bad Durkheim
Day 8: Bad Dürkheim – Neustadt (13 mi/20 km)
The final day's ride is quiet short, leaving you with plenty of time to explore the local wine culture in the towns of Wachenheim, Forst and Deidesheim. You'll bike across the balcony of Pfalz to the starting point of the tour, Neustadt an der Weinstrasse. This marks the end of your tour, at which point you can either arrange for more time in Neustadt or hire a taxi for your return to the aiport or train station.
Daily: Apr 12-Oct 12, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 12-May 2; Sep 29-Oct 12, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 3-May 30; Jul 27-Aug 31, 2014|
|High season:||May 31-Jul 26; Sep 1-Sep 28, 2014|
|Category A: 3- and 4-star hotels|
|Category B: hotels and wine grower's farms|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Category A: 3-and 4-star hotels
Day 1: Ramada, Neustadt
Day 2: Pfälzer Wald, Bad Bergzabern
Day 3: Hotel Schwert, Rastatt
Day 4: Hotel Germersheimer Hof, Germersheim
Day 5: Leonardo, Heidelberg
Day 6: Dom Hotel, Worms
Day 7: Kurparkhotel, Bad Durkheim
Category B: Hotels and winegrowers' farms of 3-star level
Day 1: Hambacher Winzer, Neustadt
Day 2: Wasgau, Bad Bergzabern
Day 3: Hotel Da Franco, Rastatt
Day 4: Germersheimer Hof B, Germersheimer
Day 5: Ibis, Heidelberg
Day 6: Asgard, Worms
Day 7: Pfälzer Landhotel, Bad Durkheim
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The route along the Rhine and Neckar Rivers is completely flat, without any climbs. Along the German Wine Street, there are some rolling hills. You can pick your route in a way that even beginner cyclists can manage without problems.
This tour is recommended for cyclists in average physical condition.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport: Frankfurt (FRA), Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN), Stuttgart (STR), and Baden (FKB), Germany
Nearest train station: Neustadt Weinstrasse, Germany (ICE station)
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Germany's fairytale castles, romantic villages and bustling cities are surrounded by a wealth of pristine natural landscapes. Only a unified nation since 1990, Germany now boasts Europe's largest economy and second most populous nation. Within its unified boundaries, Germany remains a nation of diversity. Northern Germany’s coastal terrain along the Baltic Sea includes Hamburg, a harbor city of canals and waterways. Southern Germany's Bavaria region, known as "the green roof of Germany," features snow-tipped Alps, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and the historic, picturesque city of Munich. Cruise the Rhine River through the western regions and visit Cologne's famous Gothic Cathedral built in 1248. Experience the arts, fashion and music in the capital, Berlin, and see the revitalized city of Dresden destroyed during World War II.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.