|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||31 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Daily: Apr 12-Sep 28, 2014 (Sep 8-28, 2014 arrival/departure in Lake Starnberger See)|
|Start city:||Munich, Germany|
|End city:||Munich, Germany|
Cycling through the Bavaria region in southern Germany passes majestic mountains, emerald-green lakes and historic villages rich in Bavarian tradition. This bike tour of the region begins and ends in Munich, the region's capital, with such sights as the Marienplatz Square, Frauenkirche Cathedral and Rathaus-Glockenspiel Clock. From Munich you cycle through the diverse landscape of Bavaria, known as "the green roof of Germany."
Highlights of Bavaria include the Karwendel and Weterrerstein Mountains, Isar River and Murnauer Mos Nature Reserve, the most important moor area in the Alps. Experience breathtaking views of the Alps as you take the Zugspitzbahn cable car to the Zugspitz, Germany's highest mountain. This cycling tour features the best of nature and Bavarian tradition!
Please note: This tour starts and ends in Munich from April 12-September 7, 2014. Departures after that from September 8-28, 2014, start and end in Lake Starnberger See.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Note: Sep 8-28, 2014 tour dates will begin/end in Lake Starnberger See. See the brief itinerary listed below.
Day 1: Munich
Upon your arrival in Muchich, check into your hotel, then attend a welcome briefing, then get your rental bike. Take the evening to explore Munich, Bavaria’s capital city.
Overnight in Munich
Day 2: Munich – Murnau am Staffelsee (41 mi/65 km)
From Munich you cycle through the Forstenrieder Park to Lake Starnberg. Cycling on a path directly on the shores of the lake, you travel to Seeshaupt. Highlights of the day include beautiful Bavarian villages, the Oster Lakes and Riegsee. The final stop of the day is Murnau am Staffelsee.
Overnight in Murnau am Staffelsee.
Day 3: Murnau am Staffelsee – Garmisch Partenkirchen (24 mi/40 km)
The day's tour begins in the breathtaking landscape of Murnauer Moos Nature Reserve. Passing through the reserve, the route follows the Loisbach River to Garmisch Partenkirchen. Today's stage is meant to be short so you can take the Zugspitzbahn cable car to the Zugspitz, the highest mountain in Germany. Standing 9700 ft/2962 m high, you will have a wonderful view of the surrounding Alps.
Overnight in Garmisch Partenkirchen
Day 4: Garmisch Partenkirchen – Wallgau (27 mi/45 km)
You'll take the train to Scharnitz, 984 ft/300 m high, and then day's route follows slightly uphill terrain through wildly romantic gorges and lush alpine fields to the source of the Isar River. You'll return through a sunny high-lying valley that has wonderful panoramas of the Karwendel and Wetterstein Mountains. Passing through Mittenwald, the route ends in Wallgau, a village rich in Bavarian tradition.
Overnight in Wallgau
Day 5: Wallgau – Bad Tölz (31 mi/50 km)
Past the Isarwinkel region, you'll cycle along turquoise-blue water to the impressive Sylvenstein Lake, before passing through Lenggries on the way to Bad Tölz. Bad Tolz, a town at the intsection of two trading routes (the Isar River and the old salt route from Reichenhall to Allgäu), quickly developed into a blooming trading post. Richly ornamented middle class houses are evidence of the town's golden age.
Overnight in Bad Tolz.
Day 6: Bad Tölz – Bad Tölz (27 mi/45 km)
Today you cycle through the charming landscape of Lake Tegern to Gmund am Tegernsee. Along the Gaißbach Valley you return to Bad Tölz. The thermal springs of the famous Alpamare spa rejuvenate tired muscles. The Tölzer Market Street invites you to stroll in the footsteps of the famous television series Der Bulle von Tölz or The Cop from Tölz.
Overnight in Bad Tolz
Day 7: Bad Tölz – Munich (40 mi/65 km)
The Isar cycle path takes you through Geretsried and Wolfratshausen on the way to Grünwald. While there are a few short ascents, the reward at the end of the day's ride is Munich.
Overnight in Munich
Day 8: Munich
Today marks the end of your tour. You can either arrange for a taxi to the train station or airport, or extend your stay.
Day 1: Arrival at Lake Starnberger See
Day 2: Lake Starnberger See- Murnau, Lake Staffelsee (21 mi/35 km)
Day 3: Murnau- Garmish Partenkirchen (24 mi/40 km)
Day 4: Garmish Partenkirchen- Wallgau (27 mi/45 km)
Day 5: Wallgau- Bad Tolz (31 mi/50 km)
Day 6: Bad Tolz- Lake Tegernsee- Bad Tolz (27 mi/45 km)
Day 7: Bad Tolz- Lake Starnberger See (18-31 mi/30-50 km)
Day 8: Individual departure or additional nights
Daily: Apr 12-Sep 28, 2014 (Sep 8-28, 2014 arrival/departure in Lake Starnberger See)
|Low season:||Apr 12-May 9, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 10-Jun 13, 2014|
|High season:||Jun 14-Sep 28, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Hotel Sheraton Westpark, Munich
Day 2: Hotel Angerbrau, Murnau
Day 3: Hotel Familotel Leiner, Garmish Partenkirchen
Day 4: Hotel Post, Wallgau
Day 5 and 6: Hotel Lindenhof, Bad Tolz
Day 7: Hotel Sheraton Westpark, Munich
Want to visit other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
Altogether, this is an easy tour. The route follows wonderful cycle paths and small side roads with a few, short distances on main roads. The paths are primarily asphalt, though some longer passages are on good nature paths. While there are a few short ascents, they can be handled by pushing the bike.
This tour is recommended for cyclists in average physical condition.
"The bike tour was wonderful. I rode the same route 37 years ago when I was studying at the university in Munich. This time around, though, I had to ride a little slower and the daily distances were not as long. I will definitely book all future bike tours through Bike Tour Direct. Keep up the good work."
- Larry H.
"We had a great time. Organization was perfect, route was interesting, hotels were good, and weather was better than expected. We would certainly consider another tour in the future."
- Duncan and Becky
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport and train station: Munich, Germany
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.