|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||30 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Apr 12-Oct 11, 2014|
|Start city:||Heidelberg, Germany|
|End city:||Heidelberg, Germany|
The inspiring imperial Cathedrals in Speyer, Worms and Mainz are impressive witnesses to 1,000 years of history.
Sitting on the Rhine River, Europe's longest river, each was erected at the crossroads of important trading and traveling routes. Enjoy a varied and interesting route cycling along the idyllic waters of Rhine River as you pass such cultural treasures as the Martin Luther Monument in Worms, the 10th century Druscus Bridge and Deldesheim's medieval town hall.
After each stage of the bike tour, sit down to a wonderful meal and experience the excellent wines from Germany's largest wine-growing areas of Rhein-Hessen and Pfalz.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Heidelberg
Tour information and distribution of bicycles upon arrival to Heidelberg. Enjoy a beautiful evening in the unique ambiance of Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university city.
Overnight in Heidelberg.
Day 2: Heidelberg – Worms (28 miles/45 km)
Following the Neckar River you cycle to Ladenburg, an old Roman town with a splendid medieval center. The tour continues through the plains along the Rhine River to the imperial city of Worms and the first cathedral of the tour. Dating to the 12th century, the Cathedral is a basilica with four round towers and two domes. Other sites in Worms include the Martin Luther monument and oldest preserved Jewish cemetery of Europe.
Overnight in Worms.
Day 3: Worms – Oppenheim (34 miles/55 km)
Enjoy comfortable cycling on idyllic paths along the Rhine until you reach Oppenheim, known as the city of "Gothic and Wine." Explore the town's famous Oppenheim Cellar Labyrinth, which links the houses and buildings of Old Town together through a series of underground passageways, stairways and rooms.
Overnight in Oppenheim.
Day 4: Oppenheim – Rüdesheim (38 miles/60 km)
The second imperial cathedral visited is in Mainz, the capital of Rheinland-Pfalz. The Mainz Cathdral was built 1,000 years ago and is predominantly Romanesque in style. Crossing over the Mainz River, you can visit the Gutenberg Museum. The next stop of the day is the picturesque town of Rüdesheim, where you can enjoy a splendid view from a cable car over the Middle Rhine Valley (not included in the tour package price).
Overnight in Rudesheim.
Day 5: Rüdesheim – Alzey (28 miles/45 km)
Today's route stops at Bingen, where the Nahe River flows into the Rhine at the intersection of four wine-growing territories. Highlights of the route include the “mouse-tower” in Binger Loch, the 10th century Drusus Bridge and bridge chapel. The final stop of the day is the small town of Alzey. Known as “Volker town,” Alzey is the town associated with the character Volker von Alzey from the Nibelungenlied (The Song of the Nibelungs), an epic poem in Middle High German.
Overnight in Alzey.
Day 6: Alzey – Grünstadt (25 miles/40 km)
A shorter ride provides enough time to explore the wine-culture of the region. The day starts at the German Wine Street in Bobenheim finishing in the tranquil town of Grunstadt.
Overnight in Grunstadt.
Day 7: Grünstadt – Neustadt/Weinstrasse (22 miles/35 km)
Beautiful and quaint wine-growing towns are the cultural highlights of the day's ride. Visit the largest wine-barrel in the world at Bad Dürkheim and the Wine-Museum in Deldeshelm's medieval town hall. (If you travel at the beginning of September you can experience the world's largest wine-festival in the region.)
Overnight in Neustadt an der Weinstrasse.
Day 8: Neustadt – Heidelberg (34 miles/55 km)
The third and final imperial cathedral you visit is in Speyer, a triple-aisled vaulted basilica made of red sandstone. Enjoy the marvelous medieval ambiance of Speyer’s old town and visit the splendid castle and park of Schwetzingen before returning to Heidelberg.
Overnight in Heidelberg.
Day 9: Heidelberg
Individual departure or additional days.
Saturdays: Apr 12-Oct 11, 2014
|Low Season:||Apr 12-May 2; Oct 4-Oct 11, 2014|
|Shoulder Season:||May 3-May 30; Jul 26-Aug 29, 2014|
|High:||May 31-Jul 25; Aug 30-Oct 3, 2014|
|Carefully selected 3- and 4-star hotels.|
|Carefully selected 3-star hotels and wine-grower estates.|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Category A: Carefully selected 3- and 4-star hotels
Day 1: Hotel Leonardo, Heidelberg
Day 2: Hotel Dom, Worms
Day 3: Best Western Wein-und Parkhotel, Neirstein/Rhein
Day 4: Hotel Zum Baren, Rudesheim
Day 5: Hotel am Schloss, Alzey
Day 6: Pfalzhotel, Asselheim/Grunstadt
Day 7: Hotel Ramada, Neustadt
Day 8: Hotel Leonardo, Heidelberg
Category B: Carefully selected 3-star hotels and wine-grower estates
Day 1: Hotel Ibis, Heidelberg
Day 2: Hotel Asgard, Worms
Day 3: Weingut und Gastehaus Schwibinger, Nierstein/Rhein
Day 6: Weingut und Gastehaus- Muhlmichel
Day 7: Hotel-Restaurant Haardter Herzel, Neustadt-Haardt
Day 8: Hotel Ibis, Heidelberg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
The bikes available for rent on this tour are:
Equipment included with the bike rentals:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can by a helemt (not rent) from the tour company for 35 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new UVEX I-VO helemt. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking*. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own well-fitted helmet.
*Please note that helmets must be purchased at the time of booking, and in the case of short time frame bookings, they may not be available to be purchased.
Additional specifications on the hybrid touring bikes:
This tour follows river cycle paths along the Rhine and Neckar. Most of the route is flat, without any climbs. In the wine-growing areas, you will travel through undulating territory with some steep ascents. Some parts of the tour are on natural paths.
The tour is leisurely and is for cyclists in average physical condition.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Frankfurt (FRA) and Stuttgart (STR) Germany
Nearest train station: Heidelberg, Germany
From the airports, you can take a train to the ICE railway station in Heidelberg.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Germany's fairytale castles, romantic villages and bustling cities are surrounded by a wealth of pristine natural landscapes. Only a unified nation since 1990, Germany now boasts Europe's largest economy and second most populous nation. Within its unified boundaries, Germany remains a nation of diversity. Northern Germany’s coastal terrain along the Baltic Sea includes Hamburg, a harbor city of canals and waterways. Southern Germany's Bavaria region, known as "the green roof of Germany," features snow-tipped Alps, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and the historic, picturesque city of Munich. Cruise the Rhine River through the western regions and visit Cologne's famous Gothic Cathedral built in 1248. Experience the arts, fashion and music in the capital, Berlin, and see the revitalized city of Dresden destroyed during World War II.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.