|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||30 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Apr 12-Oct 11, 2014|
|Start city:||Heidelberg, Germany|
|End city:||Heidelberg, Germany|
The inspiring imperial Cathedrals in Speyer, Worms and Mainz are impressive witnesses to 1,000 years of history.
Sitting on the Rhine River, Europe's longest river, each was erected at the crossroads of important trading and traveling routes. Enjoy a varied and interesting route cycling along the idyllic waters of Rhine River as you pass such cultural treasures as the Martin Luther Monument in Worms, the 10th century Druscus Bridge and Deldesheim's medieval town hall.
After each stage of the bike tour, sit down to a wonderful meal and experience the excellent wines from Germany's largest wine-growing areas of Rhein-Hessen and Pfalz.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Heidelberg
Tour information and distribution of bicycles upon arrival to Heidelberg. Enjoy a beautiful evening in the unique ambiance of Heidelberg, Germany’s oldest university city.
Overnight in Heidelberg.
Day 2: Heidelberg – Worms (28 miles/45 km)
Following the Neckar River you cycle to Ladenburg, an old Roman town with a splendid medieval center. The tour continues through the plains along the Rhine River to the imperial city of Worms and the first cathedral of the tour. Dating to the 12th century, the Cathedral is a basilica with four round towers and two domes. Other sites in Worms include the Martin Luther monument and oldest preserved Jewish cemetery of Europe.
Overnight in Worms.
Day 3: Worms – Oppenheim (34 miles/55 km)
Enjoy comfortable cycling on idyllic paths along the Rhine until you reach Oppenheim, known as the city of "Gothic and Wine." Explore the town's famous Oppenheim Cellar Labyrinth, which links the houses and buildings of Old Town together through a series of underground passageways, stairways and rooms.
Overnight in Oppenheim.
Day 4: Oppenheim – Rüdesheim (38 miles/60 km)
The second imperial cathedral visited is in Mainz, the capital of Rheinland-Pfalz. The Mainz Cathdral was built 1,000 years ago and is predominantly Romanesque in style. Crossing over the Mainz River, you can visit the Gutenberg Museum. The next stop of the day is the picturesque town of Rüdesheim, where you can enjoy a splendid view from a cable car over the Middle Rhine Valley (not included in the tour package price).
Overnight in Rudesheim.
Day 5: Rüdesheim – Alzey (28 miles/45 km)
Today's route stops at Bingen, where the Nahe River flows into the Rhine at the intersection of four wine-growing territories. Highlights of the route include the “mouse-tower” in Binger Loch, the 10th century Drusus Bridge and bridge chapel. The final stop of the day is the small town of Alzey. Known as “Volker town,” Alzey is the town associated with the character Volker von Alzey from the Nibelungenlied (The Song of the Nibelungs), an epic poem in Middle High German.
Overnight in Alzey.
Day 6: Alzey – Grünstadt (25 miles/40 km)
A shorter ride provides enough time to explore the wine-culture of the region. The day starts at the German Wine Street in Bobenheim finishing in the tranquil town of Grunstadt.
Overnight in Grunstadt.
Day 7: Grünstadt – Neustadt/Weinstrasse (22 miles/35 km)
Beautiful and quaint wine-growing towns are the cultural highlights of the day's ride. Visit the largest wine-barrel in the world at Bad Dürkheim and the Wine-Museum in Deldeshelm's medieval town hall. (If you travel at the beginning of September you can experience the world's largest wine-festival in the region.)
Overnight in Neustadt an der Weinstrasse.
Day 8: Neustadt – Heidelberg (34 miles/55 km)
The third and final imperial cathedral you visit is in Speyer, a triple-aisled vaulted basilica made of red sandstone. Enjoy the marvelous medieval ambiance of Speyer’s old town and visit the splendid castle and park of Schwetzingen before returning to Heidelberg.
Overnight in Heidelberg.
Day 9: Heidelberg
Individual departure or additional days.
Saturdays: Apr 12-Oct 11, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 12-May 2; Oct 4-Oct 11, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 3-May 30; Jul 26-Aug 29, 2014|
|High season:||May 31-Jul 25; Aug 30-Oct 3, 2014|
|Category A: 3- and 4-star hotels|
|Category B: 3-star hotels and wine-grower estates|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Category A: Carefully selected 3- and 4-star hotels
Day 1: Hotel Leonardo, Heidelberg
Day 2: Hotel Dom, Worms
Day 3: Best Western Wein-und Parkhotel, Neirstein/Rhein
Day 4: Hotel Zum Baren, Rudesheim
Day 5: Hotel am Schloss, Alzey
Day 6: Pfalzhotel, Asselheim/Grunstadt
Day 7: Hotel Ramada, Neustadt
Day 8: Hotel Leonardo, Heidelberg
Category B: Carefully selected 3-star hotels and wine-grower estates
Day 1: Hotel Ibis, Heidelberg
Day 2: Hotel Asgard, Worms
Day 3: Weingut und Gastehaus Schwibinger, Nierstein/Rhein
Day 6: Weingut und Gastehaus- Muhlmichel
Day 7: Hotel-Restaurant Haardter Herzel, Neustadt-Haardt
Day 8: Hotel Ibis, Heidelberg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
The bikes available for rent on this tour are:
Equipment included with the bike rentals:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can by a helemt (not rent) from the tour company for 35 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new UVEX I-VO helemt. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking*. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own well-fitted helmet.
*Please note that helmets must be purchased at the time of booking, and in the case of short time frame bookings, they may not be available to be purchased.
Additional specifications on the hybrid touring bikes:
This tour follows river cycle paths along the Rhine and Neckar. Most of the route is flat, without any climbs. In the wine-growing areas, you will travel through undulating territory with some steep ascents. Some parts of the tour are on natural paths.
The tour is leisurely and is for cyclists in average physical condition.
Tour Start and End
Nearest airport: Frankfurt (FRA) and Stuttgart (STR) Germany
Nearest train station: Heidelberg, Germany
From the airports, you can take a train to the ICE railway station in Heidelberg.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Germany's fairytale castles, romantic villages and bustling cities are surrounded by a wealth of pristine natural landscapes. Only a unified nation since 1990, Germany now boasts Europe's largest economy and second most populous nation. Within its unified boundaries, Germany remains a nation of diversity. Northern Germany’s coastal terrain along the Baltic Sea includes Hamburg, a harbor city of canals and waterways. Southern Germany's Bavaria region, known as "the green roof of Germany," features snow-tipped Alps, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and the historic, picturesque city of Munich. Cruise the Rhine River through the western regions and visit Cologne's famous Gothic Cathedral built in 1248. Experience the arts, fashion and music in the capital, Berlin, and see the revitalized city of Dresden destroyed during World War II.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
After receipt of the booking confirmation, a down payment of 20%, hoǁeǀer Ŷot ŵore thaŶ €100,- per person shall be due. The balance due shall be paid no sooner than 20 days before the start of the journey - at the same time the travel documents are handed over to the travellers.
Accounts are available to you in Austria, Germany and Switzerland for your payment. Please note that the full amount due must be credited to our account; any banking charges shall borne by the travel participants.
Bank Details: Austria (EUR), Oberbank Schärding: IBAN: AT47 1508 1008 5103 0106, BIC: OBKLAT2L Germany (EUR), Oberbank Bayern: IBAN: DE10 7012 0700 1001 2730 83, BIC: OBKLDEMX Switzerland (CHF), BTV Staad: IBAN: CH51 0852 5000 SA31 028A A, BIC: BTVACH22
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.