- LOOK model (until 2008)
- LOOK model Keo
- SPD Shimano Tourism
- SPD MTB
- Pedals MTB with lace
|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||52 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: April 5-Oct 18, 2014|
|Start city:||Orange, France|
|End city:||Orange, France|
Enjoy the beauty of Provence from the saddle!
Discover the countryside and enjoy the colors and lights which have attracted many famous painters. Admire the Roman influence in the area, the theater in Orange with its magnificent theater wall, the Pont-du-Gard, the excavation sites in Vaison-la-Romaine and the medieval village of Les Baux-de-Provence. Savor the culinary delights of the region, wines, cheeses and a cuisine seasoned with herbs of Provence.
You will find plenty of sporting challenges on this tour - the Plateau de Vaucluse, the Luberon, the Alpilles, and certainly the giant of Provence - Mont Ventoux. Boasting 300 sunny days a year, Provence is an ideal region for cyclists from mid-March until the end of October.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Individual arrival to Orange
Orange is regarded as the gateway to Provence. Celts lived here before the Romans invaded and settled for almost 300 years. For the Romans ‘Arausio’ which was the old name of Orange, was one of the most important towns in the Provincia Gallia Narbonensis.
Of the numerous Roman buildings and monuments originally built, you still can see parts of the City Wall, the Arc de Triumph and the Theatre, the stage wall of which the Sun King, Louis XIV, described as the most beautiful wall in his country.
Overnight in Orange.
Day 2: Orange - Vaison-la-Romaine (38, 52, or 70 miles/61, 83, or 112km)
From Orange to Vaison-la-Romaine the route is predominantly flat. This stage will take you through some of the best vineyards in Provence, Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Vacqueyras, Gigondas, Rasteau and Séguret, just the names of which make the hearts of the wine lovers flutter. On the way to Vaison-la-Romaine you will pass the impressive range of the Dentelles de Montmirail.
Vaison-la-Romaine is a city with a rich Roman heritage. One fifth of the Roman town, then called Vasio, has so far been excavated. You can see remains of houses of wealthy Roman citizen, an ancient water canalisation system, the columned hall of Pompeius, a 2000-year-old bridge and an old theatre. Vaison-la-Romaine also has a beautiful medieval quarter and some magnificent buildings dating from the 16th to 18th Century.
Overnight in Vaison-la-Romaine.
Day 3: Vaison - Mt. Ventoux - Vaison (47, 65, or 68 miles/75, 105, 110 km)
Today we have to face the giant of Provence – the Mont Ventoux. The 1909m high mountain rises abruptly from the countryside. In totally deforesting the mountain the Romans left the Mt. Ventoux with its characteristic bald appearance. Wind speeds of up to 250 km/h have been measured at summit. The first road over the mountain was built in 1882.
Overnight in Vaison-la-Romaine.
Day 4: Vaison-la-Romaine - Apt (56 or 68 miles/90 or 110km)
Today you cycle on quiet roads to the city of the candied fruits - Apt. Crossing through the Montagnes de Bluye and d'Albion we reach the centre of lavender cultivation, the village of Sault. Then crossing the Plateau d'Albion we will cycle downhill to Apt, nestled in the valley of Calavon.
Apt, situated on the river Calavon, is surrounded by numerous fruit trees. Here, since the 14th century fruits were picked, blanched and glazed ( the preparation method for candied fruits). The results can be admired in numerous displays of the many pastry shops and of course sampled.
Like most towns in Provence, Apt was also a settlement of the Celt-Ligures followed by the Romans. But in Apt, unlike other towns, the ruins are invisible – buried four to ten meters below the town.
Overnight in Apt.
Day 5: Apt - Luberon - Apt (50 or 65 miles/80 or 105 km)
The route today takes you into the Parc du Luberon and through some of the most beautiful villages in France. From Apt you cycle on a flat stretch to Céreste before crossing the Luberon for the first time. On the south side of the Luberon you pass typical small Provencal villages all with their preserved charm. On your way back you pass through the gorge of Lourmarin with its high white rock walls.
Overnight in Apt.
Day 6: Apt - St. Remy (55 or 64 miles/88 or 103km)
The day starts with a climb to Bonnieux followed by a 10km downhill run. On the other side of the Luberons you continue towards the river Durance. Through the flat valley of the Durance you cycle in the direction of the Alpilles, a small but charming mountain range between the Rhône and the Durance.
The Alpilles (the small Alps), is fascinating because of its rock formation. About 300,000 olive trees grow in this area, from which one of the best olive oils in France is produced.
Overnight in Apt.
Day 7: St. Remy - Orange (64 miles/80 or 103km)
First you cycle to the idyllically located Abbey St.-Michel-de-Frigolet, nestled in a low range of hills. Then you leave the Provence crossing the Rhone, and continue to Remoulins, where a trip to the famous Pont du Gard is an absolute must. Crossing the foothills of the Cévennes you cycle back to the Rhône and pass through the wine growing regions of Tavel and Lirac.
Overnight in Orange.
Day 8: Individual departure
We now have 2015 information for some tours. Please contact us to inquire if you don't see 2015 dates and prices here.
Saturdays: April 5-Oct 18, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 5-Jun 28; Aug 30-Oct 18, 2014|
|High season:||Jul 5-Aug 23, 2014|
|Please note Mont Ventoux is closed until May 1 (depending on the snow, if it is closed you will cycle around Mont Ventoux and up to Le Chalet Reynard).|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Hotel Le Louvre, Orange
Days 2 and 3: Hotel Burrhus 1, Vaison la Romaine
Days 4 and 5: Hotel l'Aptois, Apt
Day 6: Hotel Canto Cigalo, St. Remy
Day 7: Hotel Le Louvre, Orange
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented for this tour:
Equipment provided with road bike rental at no additional charge:
These pedal-systems available for this tour include:
Please indicate at time of booking which pedal system you would prefer. At booking you may also let us know if you intend to bring your own pedals.
If you wish to bring your own bike seat, please ensure that it is a universal seat post.
Helmets are included with bike rental on with this tour. We recommend, for safety and hygiene reasons, that you bring your own bicycle helmet or plan to purchase one upon arrival.
Provence is a mountainous region with demanding "ups" and rewarding "downs." Sometimes the climbs are often as long as 6-12 miles/10-20 km, the longest being Mont Ventoux. In between there are always flat stretches.
Mostly the routes are well-paved roads avoiding the busier main roads where possible. Heavier traffic is unavoidable at the entrance and exits in the larger towns. Each day you can choose between two distances, approximately 47-71 miles (75- 115 km).
This Provence tour is challenging and has been created for experienced cyclists with a good level of physical fitness.
"Overall, the week was great. I thought the biking was just as challenging as the biking in Tuscany we did last year. Biking up Mont Ventoux was very hard, but we both made it and felt a real sense of accomplishment at the top along with the many other people who were there who had biked to the top. The scenery/choice of routes was fabulous although the directions for our self-guided trip were not as good as we think they should have been (I have no examples). The villages we stayed in were a bit smaller than the villages we stayed in in Tuscany, so getting onto quiet roads didn't seem to take as much time, and we liked that."
- Judy F.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport: Avignon (AVN)
Nearest train station: Orange (TGV station)
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
With more than 40,000 monuments and 6,000 museums, France's history and tradition continue to thrive in Western Europe's largest country. Along with its history, France is at the forefront of modern development, a leader among European nations. A country of contrasts, France provides opportunities for all interests. Fashion, art and elegance prosper in the dynamic cities of Paris, Lyon, and Nice. Outside the cities, a variety of landscapes stretch over the remaining 80% of the country.
France's hexagonal shape is defined by the English Channel and Atlantic on the western coast with the Pyrenees and Alps sitting on the southwest and southeast borders. The Mediterranean Sea runs along the southern coast with the Rhine River flowing beside the German border. Visitors exploring the cities or countryside can bask in France’s pleasant climate, enjoying the stylish life, local wine and cuisine.
We are located in Salzburg, Austria, and offer tours in Austria, Switzerland, Germany.
Cycling, walking, sailing, cruising.... all over Europe. Around the active programs we offer city breaks, mountain hotels, beach hotels and multi sport programs.
We are offering guided and self guided walking and cycling holidays all around Europe. Enjoy famous destinations like the Danube, Tuscany, Dolomites, and the Alps.
Cancellation through the customer / substitute participant / change in booking
The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. BestSellerTravel can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50, for the change in booking.
Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50, -- for each change in booking.
When booking a journey
The customer offers BestSellerTravel GmbH the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when BestSellerTravel or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current BestSellerTravel-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
Liability and restriction of liability
1. BestSellerTravel is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective hauler (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither willfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200, -- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who BestSellerTravel is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress: If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. BestSellerTravel can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at the travel guide or us. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price: After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. On time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform BestSellerTravel immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. Of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile / applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue BestSellerTravel only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.
All journey and accommodation reservations and the exhibition of journey coupons are carried out by BestSellerTravel GmbH as a mediator of journeys. The customer money safeguarding in accordance with EU ordinance is carried out by the organizers of the respective programs.
Exclusion of liability for contents of the online supply
The author takes on no liability for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the provided information. Which was caused by the use or not use of the presented information or by the use of faulty and incomplete information liability claim against the author which refer to damages of material or ideational type in principle is excluded provided that on the part of the author there isn't a provably deliberate or roughly negligent fault.
All offers are without engagement and subject to confirmation. The author particularly reserves for himself to change parts of the sides or the complete offer without a separate announcement to complete, to delete or to stop the publication at times or definitely.
Reprimands and links
At direct or indirect references to strange internet pages ("links") which are outside the responsibility area of the author a liability obligation would become effective exclusively in the case in which the author of the contents has knowledge and it would be technically possible for it and reasonable to prevent, the use in the case of illegal contents.
The author particularly therefore explains that at the time of the link setting the appropriate interlinked sides were free of illegal contents. The author has no influence on the current and future design and on the contents of the conned/connected sides. Therefore he particularly hereby dissociates himself from all contents of all connected sides which were changed to the link setting. This observation applies to all links put within the Internet supply of one's own and reprimands as well as to from outside entries in visitor's books established by the author, discussion fore and mailing lists. For illegal, faulty or incomplete contents and particularly for damages which result from the use or not use of information presented the supplier of the side is liable.
Originator and characteristic right
The author endeavors to observe the copyrights of the used graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts, to be of use graphics, clay documents, prepared by him himself for video sequences and texts or to go back to license free graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in all publications.
All brands and mentioned within the Internet supply and protected by third parties if necessary trademarks are absolutely subject to the regulations of the respectively valid characteristic right and the possession rights of the respective registered owners. Alone due to the bare mentioning the end doesn't have to be drawn that trademarks aren't protected by rights of third parties!
The copyright for objects published, made by the author stays alone with the author of the sides. A copy or use of such graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in other electronic or printed publications isn't allowed without an express consent of the author.
On the right effectiveness of this exclusion of liability
This exclusion of liability is as a part of the Internet offer to look by which this side out was referred to. Provided that parts or single wordings of this text should correspond to the current legal position not, no more or not completely, the other parts of the document remain untouched in her contents and their validity of this.