|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||26 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Jun 1, 8, 22, 29; Jul 6, 13, 20, 27; Aug 3, 10, 17, 24, 2014. *Any arrival day in August is posible with at least 2 people.|
|Start city:||Turku, Finland|
|End city:||Turku, Finland|
Our cycling tour around the Finnish archipelago, hops from island to island using local ferries. The Turku archipelago are one of Finland's most stunning natural phenomena- 20,000 islands stretching out into the sea from the city of Turku in the country's south-west.
Cycling a circular route around the main islands is made easy, and exciting, by a system of local ferry services, constantly going back and forth acting like bridges. As well as the fun of the ferries, there are also picturesque harbour villages to visit, and the true peace of the nature. The cycling route starts and ends in Turku - the formal capital of Finland, and a bustling, attractive market town.
Our route is a combination of the best of everything in the area. You get to stay in the most beautiful natural surroundings with dinner cooked by your hosts, but you also get to experience picturesque harbour villages with a choice of excellent local restaurants, and to stay in the heart of Turku, European Capital of Culture 2011.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival to Turku
Personal arrival to Turku. Turku is a bustling summer city, on the south-west coast of Finland, with the River Aura cutting right through its heart. There is plenty to see, including a medieval castle and cathedral, and a wide selection of excellent bars, cafes, and restaurants.
Overnight in Turku.
Day 2: Turku -Kustavi (42 miles/68 km)
Collect your bicycles and ride north-west and out into the countryside. Soon the island-hopping begins with a relaxing 45 minute ferry journey. After an invigorating day’s ride, relax in the sauna at your harbourside accommodation where you stay in thatched cabins. Overnight in Kustavi, breakfast & dinner.
Overnight in Kustavi.
Day 3: Kustavi - Korpoo (21 miles/34 km)
Today is the main island-hopping day with 5 ferry journeys, reaching the very heart of the archipelago. The tiny peaceful island of Iniö is the remotest spot of the trip. Houtskär island has some of the region’s most challenging cycling, but you can rest on the 30 minute ferry ride to the next island! On Korpoo island stay overnight in a wonderful B&B, a former barn converted to a guest house.
Overnight on Korpoo, dinner bed and breakfast.
Day 4: Korpoo
Free day to cycle at your leisure. There are various possible circular routes we suggest on Korppoo island or the neighbouring island of Nauvo. Whichever you choose, beautiful archipelago landscapes and harbour villages await. Ride to nearby local restaurant for dinner. Overnight on Korppoo island, bed & breakfast.
Overnight on Nauvo island.
Day 5: Korpoo - Naantali (35 miles/57 km)
Cross over to Nauvo, the main archipelago island. Nauvo village has a bustling harbour. Take the ferry north back to the mainland and continue by bike via Rymättylä to Naantali, an idyllic seaside village with cobbled streets and old wooden houses around a bustling harbour. Overnight in a spa hotel in Naantali, with plenty of local restaurants to choose from for dinner.
Overnight in Naantali.
Day 6: Naantali -Turku (9 miles/14 km)
Free time in Naantali, or in Turku according to your preference. Short ride back to Turku. Return your bicycles. Overnight in Turku centre, bed and breakfast.
Overnight in Turku.
Day 7: Departure
Personal departure from Turku.
Jun 1, 8, 22, 29; Jul 6, 13, 20, 27; Aug 3, 10, 17, 24, 2014. *Any arrival day in August is posible with at least 2 people.
|This tour requires a minimum of 2 partipicants to depart. However, a single traveler is possible by a 300 euro supplement for the luggage transfer.|
All accommodation has private bathrooms, except Kustavi, which has private WC, with showers in shared sauna. At Naantali Spa the rooms are basic rooms, but have full access to all the spa facilites.
The start and end hotels are in a ideal city center location. The rest of the hotels combine beautiful natural locations in the archipelago and a stay in the old town of Naantali, where you can choose from an array of restaurants in the harbor area.
Bikes available to be rented (in advance at the time of booking) include:
All above bike rentals will be equipped with the following at no additional charge:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can buy a helmet (not rent) from the tour company for 30 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new helmet. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own.
Additional specifications on the Hybrid touring bikes:
Additional specifications on the Electrically assisted bikes:
A Pedelec is an electrically assisted bike which assists you only when pedaling. You can turn the motor on/off, and also increase the amount of assistance you would like depending on the terrain. The motor is fixed in the bottom bracket of the bike, right in front of the rear tire, and can assist you up to a speed of 15 miles/hour (25 km/hr). The supply of energy comes from a removable battery, which can last for up to 50 miles (80 kms). An additional battery is provided too, just to make sure that you always have power (you can charge batteries each night at the hotels). The weight of the e-bike is approximately 50 pounds (23 kgs). It has an illuminated LCD display, cycle computer, and wattage display.
The cycle route is generally easy, but has occasional rolling sections. The route follows minor streets with little traffic.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport: Turku (TKU)
Nearest train station: Turku Central station
Train tickets from Turki to Helsinki (or reverse): 45 euros per person (depends on the chosen train)
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
For 20 years, Radreisefreunde has offered bike tours throughout the world, and are a very experienced company. They try to act flexible, as they offer individual service for each and every client. The quality of their journeys and satisfaction of their clients is the most important aspect to their company. Throughout their 20 years of business, their excellent service and quality has contributed to many clients returning on multiple tours.
Radreisefreunde would be pleased to welcome you on their tours!
Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
- Up to the 28th day before the beginning of the journey: 10%, at least € 50,
- From the 27th to the 8th day before the beginning of the journey: 50% of the travel price
- From the 7th to the 1st day before the beginning of the journey: 80 % of the travel price
- On the arrival day and non-participation: 100% of the travel price
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. Radreisefreunde can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers Radreisefreunde the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when Radreisefreunde or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
1. The service descriptions in the current Radreisefreunde-catalogue or web site cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Liability and restriction of liability
1. Radreisefreunde is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The Radreisefreunde is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked byRadreisefreunde (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee. In case of insolvency refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a guided tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. Radreisefreundecan refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through Radreisefreunde. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveler intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999.
In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by Radreisefreunde are insured by a bank guarantee. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base.
In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent within 8 weeks of insolvency date.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should informRadreisefreunde immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveler is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue Radreisefreunde only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.