|Type of tour:||Guided|
|Distance:||34 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Jun 14, Jul 15, Aug 9, Sep 6, 2014; This tour requires a minimum of 5 participants.|
|Start city:||Sofia, Bulgaria|
|End city:||Welingrad, Bulgaria|
Bulgaria is a country with many contrasts. One day you'll bike past donkey carts and horse carriages in the countryside, then you'll visit energetic cities with modern business life. This tour through Bulgaria features marvelous hotels in idyllic scenery, pristine nature with a wide variety of flora and fauna and many points of interest along the way.
Thanks to a mild climate and numerous mineral springs, Bulgaria has attracted visitors as far back as the Romans. The landscape is dominated by fertile plains and the ancient ridges of the Balkan-massif that cross Bulgaria on the way to the Black Sea. Wedged between the Balkan-massif and the Thracian plains is the Sredna Gora mountain range in central Bulgaria. The Rhodope range, a huge maze of mountains, valleys and gorges, sits in southern Bulgaria along the border with Greece. Visiting Bulgaria's cities add cultural spice to this tour, featuring othodox monasteries with splendid paintings from the Byzantine era, prehistoric wall paintings in large cave systems and rich Renaissance facades.
Learn more about guided tours.
Day 1: Sofia
Upon your arrival in Sofia, transfer to the hotel, where you will have a welcome dinner. Sofia, Bulgaria’s capital, has a population of over one million and boasts over 7000 years of history. Remnants from many eras remain, including Roman architecture and many districts in the early 20th century style.
Overnight in Sofia
Day 2: Sofia – Ribaritza (28 mi/45 km)
The morning begins with a guided city tour of approximately 2 hours, followed by a bus transfer to Glozhene Monastery. Nestled on a mountaintop, the 13th century monastery resembles a fairy-tale castle. After lunch, you will cycle to Ribaritza.
Overnight in Ribaritza
Day 3: Ribaritza – Apriltzi (34 mi/55 km)
Today's route visits Trojan Monastery, a 3-naved church with stunning icons and wall paintings. Stops along the route include the city of Trojan before continuing to Apriltzi, the day's final stop.
Overnight in Apriltzi
Day 4: Apriltzi – Hissarja (34 mi/55 km)
Leaving Apriltzi you cycle to Gabrovo and Etara's open air museum. Etara's museum for architecture and local history offers impressive examples of art, culture and architecture from the 18th and 19th centuries. The tour continues by bus to Hissarja, which takes approximately 2.5 hours. Sitting at the edge of Sredna-Gora-massif, Hissarja's modern health-resort features more than 20 mineral springs. During Roman times, the city was named Augusta and became famous for the healing qualities of its water.
Overnight in Hissarja
Day 5: Hissarja – Plovdiv (38 mi/60 km)
Today you'll cycle to Starosel with its famous Thracian cult-temple. Surrounded by a high stone wall, the temple has a ceremonial entrance for parades and two side-entrances along with a long walkway. From here the tour continues to Saedinenie, where you will be transferred to Plovdiv for a city tour and dinner. On the Evros River, Plovdiv features a well-preserved Roman stadium, antique amphitheater, precious mosaics and picturesque houses from the Bulgarian Renaissance.
Overnight in Plovdiv
Day 6: Plovdiv – Devin (31 mi/50 km)
Highlights of the day include a visit to Batschkovo Monastery, a splendid complex with beautiful sacral architecture, and the Stone Bridge natural rock formation. After a bus transfer to Pamporovo, the largest skiing area in Rhodopen massif, the cycle tour travels to Devin via Schiroka Laka.
Overnight in Devin
Day 7: Devin – Welingrad (41 mi/65 km)
The day begins with a bike tour to Jagodinska Stalactite Cave, one of the longest caves in Bulgaria at 6 mi/10 km long, and certainly one of the most beautiful. After the cave, you'll bike via Dospat to Welingrad, the biggest health resort in Bulgaria with over 70 mineral water springs and the Kleptuza karst spring.
Overnight in Wellingrad
Day 8: Wellingrad
Breakfast marks the end of your tour. You could arrange for more time in Bulgaria or take the transfer to the Sofia airport.
Jun 14, Jul 15, Aug 9, Sep 6, 2014; This tour requires a minimum of 5 participants.
|3- and 4-star hotels and guesthouses|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Guests stay in well-kept middle class hotels and guest houses of 3-and 4-star ratings. All rooms have their own shower, tub and toilet.
Day 1: Hotel Budapest, Sofia
Opened in 2008, Hotel Budapest is within walking distance from Sofia's downtown area, Central Railway and bus stations.
Day 2: Hotel Renesans, Ribaritza
Day 3: Hotel Apriltzi, Apriltzi
Day 4: Spa Hotel Hissar, Hissarja
The Spa Hotel Hissar is situated in one of the most beautiful parks in Hissar.
Day 5: Hotel Dedeman Trimontium Princess, Plovdiv
Hotel Dedeman Trimontium Princess is an luxury hotel in the heart of Plovdiv.
Day 6: Hotel Spa Devin, Devin
The Hotel Spa Devin is located in the Rhodope mountains at 710 meters above sea level.
Day 7: Spa Hotel Lucky Light, Wellingrad
Lucky Light Boutique and Spa is situated on a calm and quiet street near the center of Wellingrad, recognized as one of the most famous and luxurious place for relaxation in the region.
(Please note that we have several hotels in every tour location. Depending on availability, guests may be booked into different hotels.)
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to rent on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
This tour route follows streets with little traffic and minor roads. There are some hilly sections, but the most demanding hills are crossed by bus. Many parts are downhill and flat.
The tour is recommended for cyclists in average physical condition.
"Just returned safely from the Bulgaria tour. Our guide Velco and the driver Peter cannot be praised enough for doing an outstanding job and making this trip a memorable one. They anticipated problems, listened to our special wishes and guided us safely and with great knowledge of roads, areas and history through this beautiful country. The hotels were generally good and and well-managed."
- Monika R.
Tour Start: Sofia, Bulgaria
Nearest aiport: Sofia, Bulgaria
Nearest train station: Sofia, Bulgaria
Tour End: Welingrad, Bulgaria
Nearest airport: Sofia, Bulgaria (located 84 miles/135 km from Welingrad)
Nearest train station: Welingrad, Bulgaria
Transfer from and to Sofia Airport by bus is included in tour price for arrivals and departures on the standard first and last days of tour.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Bulgaria draws visitors with its beautiful villages, ancient ruins, and vibrant urban nightlife. Its landscapes span from forested hills to mountains to beaches, so it's a popular destination for nature lovers. Bulgaria's capital, Sofia, is also a prime vacation spot for travelers. It's a fantastic way to experience the antiquity of Bulgaria along with its modernity. With its long and varied history, Bulgaria's Roman and Byzantine influences are evident throughout the land. Because of Bulgaria's proximity to the Black Sea, the seaside resorts are popular destinations for travelers, especially families.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.