|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||25 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Daily: Apr 25-Oct 11, 2015|
|Start city:||Lake Wolfgangsee, Austria|
|End city:||Lake Wolfgangsee, Austria|
The former emperor Franz Josef and his wife Sissi have spent many holidays in this area and hence coined the term “Sommerfrische” (summer health resort). Aristocracy was easily persuaded and it was not long until half of Vienna passed the hot summer months in the “healthy” region of the Salzkammergut. This is why you will encounter opulent villas and imposing houses along your cycle tour. The artist Gustav Klimt was yet another regular, spending time on the lakes and trying to capture this stunning natural scenery in his paintings. For you a journey of cultural, scenic and culinary temptations awaits day by day. You will literally cycle through a world of clichés that came true!
The Salzburg Lake District (Salzkammergut) is one of the most charming regions in Austria: blue lakes, high mountains, green meadows and forests—a storybook landscape. It’s also known as both a cycling and hiking paradise.
Trails are well-marked and well-maintained (some are rail-trails). The terrain is quite varied—from flat lakeside trails to hilly meadows to outright mountains. One area is peat moors and feels almost like Ireland. The region is filled with gorges, waterfalls and other natural wonders, but it’s also filled with culture and history—quaint villages, medieval towns and imperial villas (this is where the Austrian emperors spent their summers).
You’ll spend your seven nights in the Lake District. On most days, you’ll make day excursions and have options for both bicycling and hiking. On some days, you can go part of the way by ship or historic railway.
Although the tour is self-guided, van support is available for transfers and shuttles.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Arrival at Lake Wolfgangsee
Welcome briefing and bike fitting. We recommend a first stroll along the lake.
Overnight in Lake Wolfgangsee.
Day 2: Lake Wolfgangsee - Lake Mondsee (19 miles/30 km)
During the morning you have ample time to explore St. Wolfgang. Today’s short tour leads you first along the lovely lake Wolfgangsee to St. Gilgen. Then you cycle via the “Scharfling” and past the romantic lake Krottensee to lake Mondsee. The towering sheer rockface “Drachenwand” (dragon’s wall) will be your constant companion until the well-known lake resort with its palace and abbey church.
Overnight in Lake Mondsee.
Day 3: Lake Mondsee - Lake Traunsee (37-48 miles/60-80 km)
The cycle path takes you along the banks of lake Mondsee to the deep-seagreen lake Attersee. Onwards to the North shore and then through the Aurach valley to lake Traunsee. Gmunden, famous for its pottery and Ort Palace, has often been used as a movie backdrop. Overnight stay in Altmünster, Traunkirchen or Ebensee.
Overnight in Lake Traunsee.
Day 4: Lake Traunsee - Bad Aussee (19 miles/30 km + train ride)
Follow the cycle path from Ebensee along the river Traun to famous Bad Ischl. From here you you take a train ride and delve into the “deepest” Salzkammergut, namely Bad Aussee. Here you have the option of doing a short bike tour to lake Altaussee. There is also a marvellous circular path around the lake amidst the surrounding mountains.
Overnight in Bad Aussee.
Day 5: Circular walk Altaussee (approximate walking time 2 to 5 hours)
During a comfortable hike you walk round lake Altauseer See. After your lake-hike you should not miss to taste a fresh char from the smokehouse. Alternatively, you have the possibility to climb up the Loser from where you have a clear view over the “Totes Gebirge”, the “Dachstein” and the “Grimming”.
Overnight in Bad Aussee.
Day 6: Bad Aussee - Bad Ischl (25 miles/40 km)
From one imperial spa resort to the next! But before that you head for the world’s most stunning lake resort, Hallstatt. With an entire epoche named after it, naturally there is a lot to see and visit. The world’s oldest salt mine and the bone house are only a few examples, how this charming little place has attracted countless visitors from all over the globe. In Bad Ischl the emperor Franz Josef and his wife Sissi were regulars during the summer and loved spending time in the well-known Cafè Zauner and enjoying a slice of the incredibly delicious bundt cake “Guglhupf”.
Overnight in Bad Ischl.
Day 7: Bad Ischl - Lake Wolfgangsee (22 miles/35 km)
Along the Ischler Ache over to lake Wolfgangsee. Again today you have plenty of time the explore St. Wolfgang and visit the hotel “Weißes Rössl” and the pilgrimage church. We recommend a final boat trip on the lake or even visit the top of Schafberg mountain at 1782 m by cog railway!
Overnight in Lake Wolfgangsee.
Day 8: Departure or extra days
Daily: Apr 25-Oct 11, 2015
|Low season:||Apr 25-May 8; Sep 21-Oct 11, 2015|
|Shoulder season:||May 9-Jun 27; Sep 3-Sep 20, 2015|
|High season:||Jun 28-Sep 2, 2015|
|Category A: 3- and 4-star hotels|
|Category B: 3-star hotels, guest houses, inns|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Category A: 3- and 4-star hotels
Hotel Aberseehof Wolfgangsee
Hotel Leitnerbräu Mondsee
Hotel Post Traunkirchen
Hotel Erzherzog Johann Bad Aussee
Hotel Goldenes Schiff Bad Ischl
Category B: 3-star hotels, guest houses, and inns
Hotel Aberseehof Wolfgangsee
Gasthof Grüner Baum Mondsee
Landhotel Post Ebensee
Gasthof Blaue Traube Bad Aussee
Hotel Stadt Salzburg Bad Ischl
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented (in advance at the time of booking) include:
All above bike rentals will be equipped with the following at no additional charge:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can buy a helmet (not rent) from the tour company for 30 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new helmet. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own.
Additional specifications on the Hybrid touring bikes:
Additional specifications on the Electrically assisted bikes:
A Pedelec is an electrically assisted bike which assists you only when pedaling. You can turn the motor on/off, and also increase the amount of assistance you would like depending on the terrain. The motor is fixed in the bottom bracket of the bike, right in front of the rear tire, and can assist you up to a speed of 15 miles/hour (25 km/hr). The supply of energy comes from a removable battery, which can last for up to 50 miles (80 kms). An additional battery is provided too, just to make sure that you always have power (you can charge batteries each night at the hotels). The weight of the e-bike is approximately 50 pounds (23 kgs). It has an illuminated LCD display, cycle computer, and wattage display.
The tour mostly follows dedicated bike paths (about 75% of the time) and is on quiet roads for the remainder of the tour. The terrain is flat with occasional hills.
"Generally very happy with the tour. In particular we appreciated the support provided by BikeToursDirect in customising the tour to suit our needs. All our requests were taken on board and fulfilled.
"The bikes were great – very comfortable, easy to adjust and well-maintained. All other necessary equipment was provided (bike locks, repair equipment, etc. – fortunately we didn’t need to use the latter!)
"The routes covered a very good cross-section of the beautiful Salzkammergut. At our request this was happily adjusted to include Wolfgangsee. We were very happy with this variation and would recommend it for other cyclists who like a leisurely pace. At St. Wolfgang we avoided the huge queues (even out of season) waiting to travel up to the famous Schafberg (as suggested) and instead took the ferry back to St. Gilgen, where we had immediate access via the Zwoelferhorn cable car to equally spectacular views. This option could be suggested to other cyclists who don’t want to waste their precious hours in queues.
"Even for not so skilled cyclists (like myself) the daily limits were easily achievable and still allowed time for snapping the magic scenery along the way.
"Transfers were well organised to avoid very steep climbs or descents, or shorten the overall number of riding hours for elderly cyclists such as us. This was much appreciated and always very friendly. Transfers were also flexible enough to accommodate our needs.
"We are both happy to recommend the trip to others and have already done so. Many thanks for your assistance."
Mangerton NSW, Australia
"We're back and we had a wonderful time. On the whole, the trip was two thumbs-up. My wife and I are in our late 60s and the "home base-biking/hiking" concept worked perfectly for us. The flexibility of the concept, along with the special attention provided by the tour company’s Michael Loetsch, was the key to a successful tour. He was outstanding. He "sized us up" perfectly and tailored our activities to our every need.
"In short, we give the tour an "excellent" overall rating. Our experience indicates the "day to day flexibility" in implementing the tour was a key element. It's a great concept and at a fair price. Good luck in the future."
- George G.
Tour start and end
Nearest airport and train station: Salzburg (SZG)
You may take the public bus from Salzburg to Lake Wolfgangsee. Private van transfer from or to Salzburg is possible for €50 per person (per way). Reservations must be made at time of booking.
Tips for getting to and from your tour >
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
For 20 years, Radreisefreunde has offered bike tours throughout the world, and are a very experienced company. They try to act flexible, as they offer individual service for each and every client. The quality of their journeys and satisfaction of their clients is the most important aspect to their company. Throughout their 20 years of business, their excellent service and quality has contributed to many clients returning on multiple tours.
Radreisefreunde would be pleased to welcome you on their tours!
Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
- Up to the 28th day before the beginning of the journey: 10%, at least € 50,
- From the 27th to the 8th day before the beginning of the journey: 50% of the travel price
- From the 7th to the 1st day before the beginning of the journey: 80 % of the travel price
- On the arrival day and non-participation: 100% of the travel price
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. Radreisefreunde can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers Radreisefreunde the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when Radreisefreunde or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
1. The service descriptions in the current Radreisefreunde-catalogue or web site cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Liability and restriction of liability
1. Radreisefreunde is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The Radreisefreunde is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked byRadreisefreunde (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee. In case of insolvency refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a guided tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. Radreisefreundecan refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through Radreisefreunde. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveler intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999.
In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by Radreisefreunde are insured by a bank guarantee. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base.
In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent within 8 weeks of insolvency date.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should informRadreisefreunde immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveler is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue Radreisefreunde only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.