|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||31 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Sundays: May 4-Sep 14, 2014|
|Start city:||Innsbruck, Austria|
|End city:||Augsburg, Germany|
Built initially as a trade route in the Middle Ages, the Romantic Road is one of the most important holiday pathways in Europe. This cycling tour of the Romantic Road travels from Innsbruck, Austria to Augsburg, Germany. Framing the tour are the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castles of King Ludwig II, Germany's iconic fairytale castles visited by more than one million people each year.
Along with the castles, historic towns and sights line the route including Fussen, Landsberg, Andechs Monastery and Wieskirche Church. Set against the breathtaking landscape of towering mountains, green forests, deep blue lakes and rolling hills, you will be guaranteed a memorable cycling tour!
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Individual arrival to Innsbruck
Individual arrival to Innsbruck. Once you arrive, you will receive your rental bikes and tour information at the hotel in Innsbruck. Make sure to visit Innsbruck's old town, town tower, and Golden Roof in the evening.
Overnight in Innsbruck.
Day 2: Innsbruck - Imst (41 miles/65 km)
On the former Treidelweg (Treidel Path), the route follows the Inn River through small villages with churches, old aristocratic houses, and fortress ruins. You pass through Stams, featuring a Baroque Cistercian Convent and Convent Museum, to Haiming and on to the day's final stop, Imst.
Overnight in Imst.
Day 3: Imst - Füssen (34 miles/55 km)
Today begins with a transfer to Hahntenjoch (6,500 feet/2,000 m) by bus (if you arrive in May you will be transferred via Fernpass). You then enjoy a wonderful downhill ride to Elmen and Lech. A splendid mountain and river landscape, along with the town of Reutte, combine to make today's route memorable. The final stop of the day, Füssen, is surrounded by the magnificent peaks of the Alps and blue-green lakes, inviting you to stroll around the city's pedestrian zone, where you can see the outline of the Via Claudia.
Overnight in Fussen.
Day 4: Füssen - Schongau (31 miles/50 km)
Highlights of the day include King Ludwig's fairy tale castles in Königswinkel, Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein, and Tegelberg's uncovered Roman thermal springs. The world-famous Wieskirche Church, the epitome of Bavarian rococo, is the next highlight. Cycling through Steingaden and Peiting, you arrive in Schongau.
Overnight in Schongau.
Day 5: Schongau - Landsberg/Lech (22 miles/35 km)
Schongau, a former Bavarian border fortress, gives evidence of the past with fortified passages on the town wall that can still be accessed. From the fortress, you have splendid view over the Lech Valley. Other stops before reaching Landsberg include Hochenfurch, Epfach, with a Roman Abodiacum and Roman museum, and Vilgertshofen, with a Baroque Pilgrimage Church.
Overnight in Landsberg.
Day 6: Landsberg - Lake Amersee - Landsberg (28 miles/45 km)
Along side roads you cycle via small, baroque villages to the western bank of the Lake until you reach Utting. There is opportunity to visit the Andechs Monastery by ship (not included). The monastery is located in the village of Herrsching on the opposite side of the lake. You then cycle through slightly hilly back to Landsberg.
Overnight in Landsberg.
Day 7: Landsberg/Lech - Augsburg (28 miles/45 km)
You should not miss Landsberg/Lech's historic town hall, Gothic Bavarian Gate and medieval city centre, embedded in a wild, romantic river bed. Through Kaufering am Lech, you cycle to Königsbrunn featuring the best preserved part of the Via Claudia at a length of 7 miles (11 km). The route continues into the old Bavarian duke city of Friedberg and on to Augsburg. Highlights of Augsburg include the famous Fuggerei, trading company of the Fugger family and an old town dating back to 1516, as well as numerous historic monuments including the Elias Holls (town hall) and Roman Musuem.
Overnight in Augsburg.
Day 8: Individual departure from Augsburg
Sundays: May 4-Sep 14, 2014
|Low Season:||May 4-Jun 5; Aug 24-Sep 14, 2014|
|High Season:||Jun 9-Aug 23, 2014|
|3- and 4-star hotels.|
|3-star hotels and guesthouses and 4-star hotel in Innsbruck.|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Austria Trend Hotel Congress, Innsbruck
Day 2: Hotel Auderer, Imst
Day 3: Garni Schlossblick, Hohenschwangau
Day 4: Hotel Pfaffenwinkel, Peiting
Day 5 and 6: Hotel Goggl, Landsberg
Day 7: Hotel Bayerischer Wirt, Augsburg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
The bikes available for rent on this tour are:
Equipment included with the bike rentals:
Additional specifications on the hybrid touring bikes:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and the necessary equipment to change the pedals. Toe cages are not available to rent.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with a 27.2 to 31.4 mm seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can by a helemt (not rent) from the tour company for 35 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new UVEX I-VO helemt. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking*. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own well-fitted helmet.
*Please note that helmets must be purchased at the time of booking, and in the case of short time frame bookings, they may not be available to be purchased.
This tour cycles along the Lech River on bicycle paths and small country roads, through quiet and charming landscapes near the Roman road. From Imst/Hahntenjoch you go by transfer (6,560 feet/2,000 m) to Augsburg 1,312 feet (400 m) continuously downhill with some short hilly passages.
This tour is leisurely and is for cyclists in average physical condition.
Nearest airport: Innsbruck, Austria and Munich, Germany
Nearest train station: Innsbruck, Austria
Nearest airport: Munich, Germany
Nearest train station: Augsburg, Germany
There is a bus transfer available from Augsburg to Innsbruck. It leaves Sundays at 3:00 pm and costs €60 per person, bike included. Reservations are required, though you pay upon arrival.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
After receipt of the booking confirmation, a down payment of 20%, hoǁeǀer Ŷot ŵore thaŶ €100,- per person shall be due. The balance due shall be paid no sooner than 20 days before the start of the journey - at the same time the travel documents are handed over to the travellers.
Accounts are available to you in Austria, Germany and Switzerland for your payment. Please note that the full amount due must be credited to our account; any banking charges shall borne by the travel participants.
Bank Details: Austria (EUR), Oberbank Schärding: IBAN: AT47 1508 1008 5103 0106, BIC: OBKLAT2L Germany (EUR), Oberbank Bayern: IBAN: DE10 7012 0700 1001 2730 83, BIC: OBKLDEMX Switzerland (CHF), BTV Staad: IBAN: CH51 0852 5000 SA31 028A A, BIC: BTVACH22
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.