|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||27 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Apr 19-Sep 13, 2014|
|Start city:||Munich, Germany|
|End city:||Salzburg, Austria|
Two cultures are connected in this biking tour from Munich, Germany to Salzburg, Austria. Munich serves as the starting point of this tour with an impressive historical ambiance and lively cultural center. Leaving Munich you enter the beautiful scenery of Bavaria, with the imposing Alps in the background. Traveling through the Bavarian Lake District, you cycle past rolling green hills, forests and lakes.
Villages line the route including Bad Tolz, Inzell and Berchtesgaden. Entering Austria, Salzburg sits in the distance with its large Medieval Castle towering above the city. Home to Mozart, Salzburg is a festival town of delectable cuisine, and is a wonderful finish to a delightful cycling tour.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Munich
Upon your arrival in Munich, check into your hotel, then attend a welcome briefing, during which your bike will be distributed. Munich, the capital of Bavaria, is famous for its energetic beer gardens where you can enjoy a cool beer and pretzel.
Overnight in Munich
Day 2: Munich – Bad Tölz (38 mi/60 km)
Today's route follows the Isar River cycle path through green forests to Bad Tolz. Stops along the way include Wolfratshausen and Geretsried. Bad Tolz is located at the intersection of two main trading routes, the Isar River and the old salt route from Reichenhall to Allgäu. The town's former wealth and glory is evident in its splendid houses lining the streets.
Overnight in Bad Tolz
Day 3: Bad Tölz – Lake Schliersee (22 mi/35 km)
Today, you will cycle over gently rolling hills through the scenic landscape surrounding Lake Tegernsee. In Gmund you will be able to enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of the lake. You could take a boat trip or go for a swim. Later you will continue on the Bodensee-Königssee bike path to Lake Schliersee.
Overnight at Lake Schliersee
Day 4: Lake Schliersee - Bad Feilnbach/Surroundings (22 mi/35 km)
First, you will cycle directly along the lake shore and on slightly hilly roads to Bad Feilnbach. Because of the mild climate and more than 30,000 fruit trees, the moor spa area is also called the “Bavarian Merano”. Today’s destination is the colorfully decorated town of Bad Feilnbach.
Overnight in Bad Feilnbach
Day 5: Bad Feilnbach - Lake Chiemsee (28 mi/45 km)
You'll ride through the largest peat mining area of Bavaria, the Kollerfilze, and soon you will reach Neubeuern. All over town you will see two crossed ship hooks, the emblem of Neubeuern and a sign of the shipbuilding industry, which once was the residents’ main source of income. Then you will cycle via Frasdorf at the foot of the Chiemgau Mountains to Lake Chiemsee. Today’s destination is located on the southern lakeshore of the “Bavarian sea”. You could take a boat trip to the islands Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee.
Overnight at Lake Chiemsee
Day 6: Chiemsee – Inzell (22 mi/35 km)
Even though you'll be cycling on flat roads, the surrounding mountains get higher and higher as you travel in their shadow. Via Bergener Moos, a moor on the foot of Hochfelln, the route passes Bad Adelholzen on the way to Siegsdorf. Make sure to visit Siegsdorf's Natural History Museum. After a brief rest you'll cycle along the Rote Traun River to the idyllic town of Inzell. Decorative paintings on the houses, called “Lüftlmalerei,” as well as rich flower decorations, give the town a charming atmosphere.
Overnight in Inzell
Day 7: Inzell – Salzburg (34 mi/55 km)
Today’s ride will take you on narrow paths between the mountains along the German Alpine Road via Schneitzlreuth and along the river Saalach to Bad Reichenhall. Be sure to explore the saline building, cathedral St. Zeno, and spa park. On your way back, you'll cycle across the border between Bavaria and Austria to Salzburg.
Overnight in Salzburg
Day 8: Salzburg
Breakfast marks the end of your tour. You can either arrange more days in Salzburg or get a taxi to the airport or train station.
Saturdays: Apr 19-Sep 13, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 19-May 10, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 11-Jun 14; Aug 30-Sep 13, 2014|
|High season:||Jun 15-Aug 29, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Hotel Sheraton Westpark, Munich
Hotel Kolberbrau, Bad Tolz
Hotel Kistlerwirt, Bad Feilnbach
Gasthof Alter Wirt, Bernau am Chiemsee
Alpenhotel Bayerischer Hof, Inzell
Hotel Wittelsbach, Berchtesgaden
Hotel Holiday Inn, Salzburg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The tour is mostly easy with occasional rolling hills. The stage from Bad Tolz to Bad Felinbach has a few ascents. It is partly on cycle paths, but mainly on country lanes and small roads. There are only a few connections that go short distances on roads with heavier traffic.
This tour is moderately challenging and is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Nearest airport: Munich, Germany
Nearest train station: Munich, Germany
Nearest airport: Salzburg, Austria
Nearest train station: Salzburg, Austria
There are good connections by train between Munich and Salzburg for €35 per person.
Every Saturday there is a transfer to Munich for €60 per person which requires advance reservations, payable on site.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Germany's fairytale castles, romantic villages and bustling cities are surrounded by a wealth of pristine natural landscapes. Only a unified nation since 1990, Germany now boasts Europe's largest economy and second most populous nation. Within its unified boundaries, Germany remains a nation of diversity. Northern Germany’s coastal terrain along the Baltic Sea includes Hamburg, a harbor city of canals and waterways. Southern Germany's Bavaria region, known as "the green roof of Germany," features snow-tipped Alps, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and the historic, picturesque city of Munich. Cruise the Rhine River through the western regions and visit Cologne's famous Gothic Cathedral built in 1248. Experience the arts, fashion and music in the capital, Berlin, and see the revitalized city of Dresden destroyed during World War II.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.