|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||27 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Apr 19-Sep 13, 2014|
|Start city:||Munich, Germany|
|End city:||Salzburg, Austria|
Two cultures are connected in this biking tour from Munich, Germany to Salzburg, Austria. Munich serves as the starting point of this tour with an impressive historical ambiance and lively cultural center. Leaving Munich you enter the beautiful scenery of Bavaria, with the imposing Alps in the background. Traveling through the Bavarian Lake District, you cycle past rolling green hills, forests and lakes.
Villages line the route including Bad Tolz, Inzell and Berchtesgaden. Entering Austria, Salzburg sits in the distance with its large Medieval Castle towering above the city. Home to Mozart, Salzburg is a festival town of delectable cuisine, and is a wonderful finish to a delightful cycling tour.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Munich
Upon your arrival in Munich, check into your hotel, then attend a welcome briefing, during which your bike will be distributed. Munich, the capital of Bavaria, is famous for its energetic beer gardens where you can enjoy a cool beer and pretzel.
Overnight in Munich
Day 2: Munich – Bad Tölz (38 mi/60 km)
Today's route follows the Isar River cycle path through green forests to Bad Tolz. Stops along the way include Wolfratshausen and Geretsried. Bad Tolz is located at the intersection of two main trading routes, the Isar River and the old salt route from Reichenhall to Allgäu. The town's former wealth and glory is evident in its splendid houses lining the streets.
Overnight in Bad Tolz
Day 3: Bad Tölz – Lake Schliersee (22 mi/35 km)
Today, you will cycle over gently rolling hills through the scenic landscape surrounding Lake Tegernsee. In Gmund you will be able to enjoy a magnificent panoramic view of the lake. You could take a boat trip or go for a swim. Later you will continue on the Bodensee-Königssee bike path to Lake Schliersee.
Overnight at Lake Schliersee
Day 4: Lake Schliersee - Bad Feilnbach/Surroundings (22 mi/35 km)
First, you will cycle directly along the lake shore and on slightly hilly roads to Bad Feilnbach. Because of the mild climate and more than 30,000 fruit trees, the moor spa area is also called the “Bavarian Merano”. Today’s destination is the colorfully decorated town of Bad Feilnbach.
Overnight in Bad Feilnbach
Day 5: Bad Feilnbach - Lake Chiemsee (28 mi/45 km)
You'll ride through the largest peat mining area of Bavaria, the Kollerfilze, and soon you will reach Neubeuern. All over town you will see two crossed ship hooks, the emblem of Neubeuern and a sign of the shipbuilding industry, which once was the residents’ main source of income. Then you will cycle via Frasdorf at the foot of the Chiemgau Mountains to Lake Chiemsee. Today’s destination is located on the southern lakeshore of the “Bavarian sea”. You could take a boat trip to the islands Herrenchiemsee and Frauenchiemsee.
Overnight at Lake Chiemsee
Day 6: Chiemsee – Inzell (22 mi/35 km)
Even though you'll be cycling on flat roads, the surrounding mountains get higher and higher as you travel in their shadow. Via Bergener Moos, a moor on the foot of Hochfelln, the route passes Bad Adelholzen on the way to Siegsdorf. Make sure to visit Siegsdorf's Natural History Museum. After a brief rest you'll cycle along the Rote Traun River to the idyllic town of Inzell. Decorative paintings on the houses, called “Lüftlmalerei,” as well as rich flower decorations, give the town a charming atmosphere.
Overnight in Inzell
Day 7: Inzell – Salzburg (34 mi/55 km)
Today’s ride will take you on narrow paths between the mountains along the German Alpine Road via Schneitzlreuth and along the river Saalach to Bad Reichenhall. Be sure to explore the saline building, cathedral St. Zeno, and spa park. On your way back, you'll cycle across the border between Bavaria and Austria to Salzburg.
Overnight in Salzburg
Day 8: Salzburg
Breakfast marks the end of your tour. You can either arrange more days in Salzburg or get a taxi to the airport or train station.
Saturdays: Apr 19-Sep 13, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 19-May 10, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 11-Jun 14; Aug 30-Sep 13, 2014|
|High season:||Jun 15-Aug 29, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Hotel Sheraton Westpark, Munich
Hotel Kolberbrau, Bad Tolz
Hotel Kistlerwirt, Bad Feilnbach
Gasthof Alter Wirt, Bernau am Chiemsee
Alpenhotel Bayerischer Hof, Inzell
Hotel Wittelsbach, Berchtesgaden
Hotel Holiday Inn, Salzburg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The tour is mostly easy with occasional rolling hills. The stage from Bad Tolz to Bad Felinbach has a few ascents. It is partly on cycle paths, but mainly on country lanes and small roads. There are only a few connections that go short distances on roads with heavier traffic.
This tour is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Nearest airport: Munich (MUC), Germany
Nearest train station: Munich, Germany
Nearest airport: Salzburg (SZG), Austria
Nearest train station: Salzburg, Austria
There are good connections by train between Munich and Salzburg for €35 per person.
Every Saturday there is a transfer to Munich for €60 per person which requires advance reservations, payable on site.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Germany's fairytale castles, romantic villages and bustling cities are surrounded by a wealth of pristine natural landscapes. Only a unified nation since 1990, Germany now boasts Europe's largest economy and second most populous nation. Within its unified boundaries, Germany remains a nation of diversity. Northern Germany’s coastal terrain along the Baltic Sea includes Hamburg, a harbor city of canals and waterways. Southern Germany's Bavaria region, known as "the green roof of Germany," features snow-tipped Alps, the Black Forest, Neuschwanstein Castle and the historic, picturesque city of Munich. Cruise the Rhine River through the western regions and visit Cologne's famous Gothic Cathedral built in 1248. Experience the arts, fashion and music in the capital, Berlin, and see the revitalized city of Dresden destroyed during World War II.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The Customer may withdraw from the agreement at any time prior to the start of travel. We recommend that the Customer communicate his or her cancellation in writing. In the event of a cancellation or no-show, we shall be entitled to charge the following fees (percentages refer to the price of travel):
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable. We recommend a travel withdrawal insurance, please note that the insurance doesn't work for travel expenses. For that case you shall take an additional insurance.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Each registered travel participant may allow a third-party to take his or her place if he or she notifies us thereof in writing up to three days prior to the start of travel. EUROBIKE may refuse the third party's participation for good cause. The conditions of cancellation above shall apply. If a substitute person takes the registered participant's place, this shall not affect the original contract. We shall be entitled to charge € 50,- for change fees.
3. Changes to the booking in terms of number or types of rooms, hotel category and type of board shall, providing such is possible in the hotels and there is sufficient capacity available, is basically possible up to 14 days prior to the start of travel. Nonetheless, we will however have to charge you for the time and effort involved. For each change, we shall charge you € 50,-.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. By registering, the Customer undertakes to enter into a travel agreement with EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (hereinafter referred to as EUROBIKE). Registration shall take place in writing on the form designated for this purpose. A telephonic, oral or other form of registration with us or one of our partner agencies shall be equally binding. Registration shall be carried out by the registering party for all co-named participants. The registering party firmly agrees to these conditions of travel, including on behalf of and for the co-named participants.
2. The agreement shall come into being upon acceptance by EUROBIKE or its partner agencies upon sending the booking confirmation.
3. Subsidiary agreements and amendments to the concluded travel agreement shall require our written confirmation.
After receipt of the booking confirmation, a down payment of 20%, hoǁeǀer Ŷot ŵore thaŶ €100,- per person shall be due. The balance due shall be paid no sooner than 20 days before the start of the journey - at the same time the travel documents are handed over to the travellers.
Accounts are available to you in Austria, Germany and Switzerland for your payment. Please note that the full amount due must be credited to our account; any banking charges shall borne by the travel participants.
Bank Details: Austria (EUR), Oberbank Schärding: IBAN: AT47 1508 1008 5103 0106, BIC: OBKLAT2L Germany (EUR), Oberbank Bayern: IBAN: DE10 7012 0700 1001 2730 83, BIC: OBKLDEMX Switzerland (CHF), BTV Staad: IBAN: CH51 0852 5000 SA31 028A A, BIC: BTVACH22
1. With regard to the scope of the contractual services, the descriptions of service provided in the current EUROBIKE catalogue shall be authoritative, but not however any differing statements or promises by intermediary travel agencies, town or hotel brochures or other third parties. The stopover locations are the most frequent and main stopover destinations on the cycling tours.
Under certain circumstances, we must require your consent to be placed in towns in the immediate vicinity without any deductions.
2. The price of travel listed is per person based on occupancy in a double bed room. If available, a single bed room can be booked for a surcharge. In some hotels however there are only a limited number of single bed rooms meaning that you may if necessary have to make due with a simpler room or, under certain circumstances, have to go to another hotel or private bed and breakfast. If, exceptionally, no single bed room can be made available, you will have to share a room in a two bed room. In this case you will of course receive a prorated refund.
3. For families, we grant the following discounts off the basic price and extra nights as a third person in a double room with two full paying guests: 0 to 5.99 years old: 100% (any costs incurred shall be paid on site), 6 to 11.99 years old: 50%, 12 to 14.99 years old: 25%, age 15 and up: 10%
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE shall be responsible for making pre-travel preparations, careful selection and monitoring of the service providers as well as for the accuracy of the descriptions of service valid for the period of travel at the time our catalogue is printed.
2. Travellers shall take part in our cycling journeys at their own risk. Minors may only participate in a journey when accompanied by a parent or guardian.
3. Every travel participant shall be responsible for ensuring that his or her health is suitable for the requirements of travel.
4. In addition, every travel participant shall be responsible for the observance of traffic regulations.
5. The conditions of carriage of the particular transport companies shall apply to all means of transport (bus, boat, airplane, etc.).
6. If, due to reasons beyond our control (adaptations, renovations, etc.) a scheduled tour cannot take place, we cannot assume any liability.
7. In the event of damage caused solely by one of the service providers selected by us or which is not due to premeditation or gross negligence on our part, then our liability shall be limited, regardless of the legal basis, to three times the price of the journey.
8. In the event of loss or damage to travel luggage, we shall only be liable if the loss or damages is caused by us and is communicated to us immediately after the occurrence. In this event, we shall only be liable for up to a max. of EUR 200.00 per person. We assume no liability for: items which are not usually transported in travel luggage, means of payment of any sort, for visual damage and damage to handles and wheels or damages to pieces of luggage weighing more than a total of 20 kg. We recommend that you take out a travel security package to cover these risks.
Transportation of customer bicycles before, during and after our cycling journeys is possible at the Đustoŵer’s oǁŶ risk oŶly. The settiŶgs of our ĐyĐle Đarriers are fitted to our reŶtal ďiĐyĐles, therefore minor damages (e.g. scratches to the paintwork) can occur. Consequently, we cannot be made liable for damages originating from transportation. Above mentioned limitation of liability is also applicable for partner tours and transportation via third parties.
9. If a journey is cancelled due to reasons beyond our control (strike, natural disaster, etc.) or if the minimum number of participants of guided group tours (8 people) and bike & boat tours (15 people or as listed in the offers) is not reached, we reserve the right to cancel the journey up to 25 days before the planned travel date. In this event you shall be notified without delay and will be refunded any amounts already paid to us. You shall not be entitled to any compensation beyond this.
1. Remedies: If the travel service cannot be performed as specified in the agreement, the Customer can demand redress. What is contractually specified shall be based on the one hand on the description of service and on the other on what is customary in the destination country. EUROBIKE can refuse a remedy if it requires disproportional costs and efforts but shall also be entitled to provide a remedy in the form of services of equal or greater value. Substitute services can only be refused by the Customer for a significant, objectively identifiable reason. The demand for a remedy shall be communicated directly to us or to the guide. The guide shall have no authority to recognise claims.
2. Travel Price Reduction: The Customer may, after returning from the journey, request a reasonable reduction in the price of travel (discount) for the duration of the contractually non-contractually compliant portion of the journey until a remedy is provided by EUROBIKE. The reduction shall not apply if and to the extent that the traveller, through his or her fault, fails to communicate the deficiency to the parties listed in Item VI (1) in a timely manner so as to enable them to provide a remedy.
3. Any claims must be lodged with us no later than one month after the contractually scheduled end of travel.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If the traveller does not receive the travel documents in a timely manner, he or she must inform EUROBIKE without delay.
2. The traveller is required, in the event of any issues disrupting the provision of the services as described in the agreement, to take all reasonable steps to contribute to remedying the disruption any to minimise or avoid any damage. The Customer is, in particular, required to lodge his or her complaints without delay to the parties named in VI (1). These parties shall be in charge of providing a remedy if such is possible. If the Customer fails, through his or her fault, to communicate a deficiency, than he or she shall have no claim to a reduction in price.
1. The Customer shall be responsible for complying with all passport, visa, customs and health regulations.
2. We must reserve the right to make changes to prices and services and to correct any mistakes and typographical errors.
3. The invalidity of individual provisions in the travel agreement shall not invalidate the rest of the agreement.
IX. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement is governed by Austrian Law.
2. The Customer may only bring legal action against EUROBIKE at its registered place of business.
3. The Customer's place of residence shall be authoritative for actions by the travel against the customer unless the action is directed against general merchants or persons without a general place of jurisdiction in Austria. In this case, the registered office of the tour operator shall be authoritative.
For all journeys designated as original tours, a member of the EUROFUN-group (Eurobike, Eurotrek, Rückenwind, SE-Tours, Espace Randonnée, Radreisefreunde) is the operator. For all other tours, EUROBIKE – EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel booking agent.
Subject to changes to the offering and mistakes, typographical errors and calculation errors.
Insurance of customer funds
Pursuant to the Travel Agency Guarantee Decree [Reisebürosicherungsverordnung (RSV)] for all-inclusive journeys offered by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (registration number 1999/0035 in the Directory of Tour Operators of the Federal Ministry of Economics, Family and Youth, customer funds are secured subject to the following conditions: any payments exceeding those indicated in Item II or previously paid down payments and payments of balances owing may not be demanded nor are they secured.
The guarantor or insurer is Volksbank Braunau, 5280 Braunau (bank guarantee no. 5746). Filing of any claims must be done with the liquidator (Europäische Reiseversicherung AG, Kratochwjlestestraße 4, 1220 Vienna, Tel. no. +43(1) 317 25 00, Fax. no. +43(1) 319 93 67) within 8 weeks insolvency being declared.
Applications for refunds must be submitted, duly documented within 8 weeks of the claim arising. You shall receive a corresponding insurance certificate along with your booking confirmation.