|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||31 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays: May 17-Sep 20, 2015 (minimum 2 participants)|
|Start city:||Innsbruck, Austria|
|End city:||Salzburg, Austria|
You will cycle along the Alps from Innsbruck to Salzburg. In Innsbruck you will follow the wide valley of the Inn river passing little historical cities like Wattens, Hall or Schwarz. On both sides you will see huge, impressive mountain ranges and sometimes you will even see a glacier.
Cycling into the Zillertal valley along the little mountain river will be pleasant and easy. The mountain landscape changes a bit and you begin to see farm houses high up on the mountain.
At the end of the valley you will see the glacier of the Alps where you can ski all year round. A transport will drive you over the mountain pass into the state of Salzburg where you will see one of the most impressive nature attractions in Austria, the Krimmler Waterfalls!
On the right side you see the high mountains of the national park with many side valleys and on the left side the smooth mountains where you find wonderful alpine pastures. You will pass a farming region and will come to a lovely lake called Zellersee. As you follow the Saalach river you'll pass gorges and caves, which of course you may visit, then you come to the village Lofer and its old fashioned village center. Following the river further, you will come to Bavaria where you can visit the city of Bad Reichenhall. The end and perhaps the highlight of the tour will be the festival city of Salzburg.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Innsbruck
Upon your arrival in Innsbruck, take some time to enjoy the city with some of the attractions like the castle, old town and the ski jumping station.
Overnight in Innsbruck
Day 2: Innsbruck – Zillertal valley (28 mi/45 km)
You will follow the cycle trail along the Inn river out of the city. You will pass well marked historical sites you can visit, such as the famous Swarovski crystal world in Wattens, or take a rest along the old streets of the little cities. On one side you will see the Alps and on the other side the Karwendel mountain range. Your accommodations are at the entrance of the Zillertal valley.
Overnight in Zillertal Valley
Day 3: Zillertal – Krimml (15-24 mi/25 -40 km)
You path turns gently upward as you cycle into the Zillertal valley, which is famous for its skiing at the glacier, where conditions are favorable all year. The route has wonderful scenery, with alpine pastures and quaint villages where you can explore the fantastic restaurants. You decide whether to bike deep into the valley or to the meeting point of the transport in Zell am Ziller to Krimml, where you still have time to walk to the waterfalls.
Overnight in Krimml
Day 4: Krimml – Zell am See (40 mi/65 km)
Today you will follow the Salzach river valley almost from the source. Again, you'll have views of the astounding mountain ranges on both sides of the wide valley. You'll ride through a side valley, into the National Park of Hohe Tauern, where the information center is well worth a visit. The day's route ends in Zell am See by a beautiful lake, with a view of the highest mountain in Austria, the Großglockner.
Overnight in Zell am See
Day 5: Rest day Zell am See
Today you can choose to take a rest day, or you can take a train up to Hochfilzen where you gentle cycle downwards the Leogang valley to Saalfelden and Zell am See.
Overnight in Zell am See
Day 6: Zell am See – Lofer (28-37 mi/45-60 km)
You will bike around the lake and then past little hamlets with old farm houses. Today there will be some up and down in the morning and a sensational view of what's called Stony Sea Mountain range. In the afternoon you will pass some fascinating gorges as well as a huge cave, both of which you can stop to visit. ￼￼￼
Overnight in Lofer
Day 7: Lofer – Salzburg (31 mi/50 km)
Today you'll follow the river Saalach, passing a part of Bavaria. The mountains are are part of the National Park of Berchtesgaden. You will cycle through the spa city of Bad Reichenhall where you can visit the old salt mine, have a break in the old town, or taste the beer in the brewery. Afterwards you'll be approaching Salzburg, where you can visit the open air museum, Großgmain, with its old farm houses. If you're a fan of the movie The Sound of Music, you'll will pass the castle and lake where part of the filming of the original movie took place.
Overnight in Salzburg
Day 8: Salzburg
Today marks the end of your tour. You may either depart or arrange for an extended stay.
We now have 2015 information for some tours. Please contact us to inquire if you don't see 2015 dates and prices here.
Sundays, Mondays, and Tuesdays: May 17-Sep 20, 2015 (minimum 2 participants)
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Central Hotel, Innsbruck
Day 2: Hotel Post, Strass im Zillertal
Day 3: Klockerhaus, Krimml
Days 4 & 5: Steinerwirt, Zell am See
Day 6: Hotel St. Hubertus, Lofer
Day 7: Goldenes Theater, Salzburg
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available for rent on this tour (reserved in advance at the time of booking):
Bikes come equipped with the following at no extra cost:
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
Helmet rental is available on this tour for €12. We recommend that you bring your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
You mainly follow river cycle trails and there are only short up and downs. There will be a transfer for the only mountain pass on the tour so a good basic fitness in enough for this tour.
Nearest airport and train station: Innsbruck, Austria
Nearest airport and train station: Salzburg, Austria
You can reach Innsbruck or Salzburg by airplane or train from many cities in Europe. From the airport just take the city bus to the centre where the hotels are close by the train station.
From Salzburg to Innsbruck are direct trains running each second hour. If you arrive by car the parking will be around Euro 10,- per day in a parking garage.
Please note that transfer to/from the airport or train station and your hotels is not included in the tour package.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
We are located in Salzburg, Austria, and offer tours in Austria, Switzerland, Germany.
Cycling, walking, sailing, cruising.... all over Europe. Around the active programs we offer city breaks, mountain hotels, beach hotels and multi sport programs.
We are offering guided and self guided walking and cycling holidays all around Europe. Enjoy famous destinations like the Danube, Tuscany, Dolomites, and the Alps.
Cancellation through the customer / substitute participant / change in booking
The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. BestSellerTravel can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50, for the change in booking.
Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50, -- for each change in booking.
When booking a journey
The customer offers BestSellerTravel GmbH the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when BestSellerTravel or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current BestSellerTravel-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
Liability and restriction of liability
1. BestSellerTravel is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective hauler (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither willfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200, -- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who BestSellerTravel is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress: If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. BestSellerTravel can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at the travel guide or us. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price: After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. On time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform BestSellerTravel immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. Of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile / applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue BestSellerTravel only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.
All journey and accommodation reservations and the exhibition of journey coupons are carried out by BestSellerTravel GmbH as a mediator of journeys. The customer money safeguarding in accordance with EU ordinance is carried out by the organizers of the respective programs.
Exclusion of liability for contents of the online supply
The author takes on no liability for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of the provided information. Which was caused by the use or not use of the presented information or by the use of faulty and incomplete information liability claim against the author which refer to damages of material or ideational type in principle is excluded provided that on the part of the author there isn't a provably deliberate or roughly negligent fault.
All offers are without engagement and subject to confirmation. The author particularly reserves for himself to change parts of the sides or the complete offer without a separate announcement to complete, to delete or to stop the publication at times or definitely.
Reprimands and links
At direct or indirect references to strange internet pages ("links") which are outside the responsibility area of the author a liability obligation would become effective exclusively in the case in which the author of the contents has knowledge and it would be technically possible for it and reasonable to prevent, the use in the case of illegal contents.
The author particularly therefore explains that at the time of the link setting the appropriate interlinked sides were free of illegal contents. The author has no influence on the current and future design and on the contents of the conned/connected sides. Therefore he particularly hereby dissociates himself from all contents of all connected sides which were changed to the link setting. This observation applies to all links put within the Internet supply of one's own and reprimands as well as to from outside entries in visitor's books established by the author, discussion fore and mailing lists. For illegal, faulty or incomplete contents and particularly for damages which result from the use or not use of information presented the supplier of the side is liable.
Originator and characteristic right
The author endeavors to observe the copyrights of the used graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts, to be of use graphics, clay documents, prepared by him himself for video sequences and texts or to go back to license free graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in all publications.
All brands and mentioned within the Internet supply and protected by third parties if necessary trademarks are absolutely subject to the regulations of the respectively valid characteristic right and the possession rights of the respective registered owners. Alone due to the bare mentioning the end doesn't have to be drawn that trademarks aren't protected by rights of third parties!
The copyright for objects published, made by the author stays alone with the author of the sides. A copy or use of such graphics, clay documents, video sequences and texts in other electronic or printed publications isn't allowed without an express consent of the author.
On the right effectiveness of this exclusion of liability
This exclusion of liability is as a part of the Internet offer to look by which this side out was referred to. Provided that parts or single wordings of this text should correspond to the current legal position not, no more or not completely, the other parts of the document remain untouched in her contents and their validity of this.