|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||33 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Saturdays: Apr 26-Sep 20, 2014|
|Start city:||Innsbruck, Austria|
|End city:||Riva, Italy|
Passing fruit orchards, vineyards, lakes and rivers, this tour offers cyclists an unparalleled experience. Beginning in Innsbruck, the route visits the cities of Merano and Trento on the way to Italy's beautiful Lake Garda. Admire the region's history while you visit the Monastery at Zams, famous Schnatterpeck altar and Marienburg Fortress. Marvel at the emerald Reschensee and Kalterersee Lakes and blossoming valleys at the foot of the Alps. Enjoy the charm and culture of small towns dotting the diverse landscape. You will experience all this and more as you cycle from Innsbruck to Lake Garda!
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Day 1: Innsbruck
Upon arrival in Innsbruck, attend the briefing meeting and get your rental bicycle. You'll have time to explore Innsbruck's famous old town, city tower and medieval "Golden Roof".
Overnight in Innsbruck
Day 2: Innsbruck – Imst (40 mi/65 km)
On an old bridle path along the Inn River, you'll cycle beside Martin’s wall and through small villages and hamlets to Stams. The Baroque Cistercian Monastery is one of Stams' highlights. The route continues via Haiming to Imst, known as the “Merano of North Tyrol”.
Overnight in Imst
Day 3: Imst – Burgeis/Mals (31 mi/50 km)
Today's route follows the Inn River, past the Monastery at Zams to Landeck. From here, you'll be transferred by bus to Nauders, with an additional 328 ft/100 m climb to Reschen Pass. The route continues downhill to Lake Reschensee and on minor roads to Mals or Burgeis, located at the foot of Marienburg Fortress.
Overnight in Burgeis/Mals
Day 4: Burgeis/Mals – Merano (41 mi/65 km)
The first stop on the day's ride is Glurns, featuring a fully intact medieval city wall. The ride continues past the ruins of Montani through Schlanders and down to Merano. Standing guard on the route are numerous fortresses and castles, including famous alpinist Reinhold Messner's Juval Castle. Along this stage, you'll have impressive views of Ortler, the highest mountain in the Eastern Alps, and Stilfserjoch. You'll also have the option to shorten the route by taking the Vinschgau train, revitalized in 2004.
Overnight in Merano
Day 5: Merano – Kaltern/Tramin/Auer (28-31 mi/45-50 km)
See the famous Schnatterpeck-altar in Lana as you cycle through fruit orchards and vineyards of the South Tyrolean wine street. You'll pass fortresses, castles and ruins along the way. Other highlights of the day are Hocheppan's famous frescoes and St. Paul's “dome in the country” on Lake Kalterer See. You will finish the day in one of the picturesque wine-growing towns of Kaltern, Tramin or Auer.
Overnight in Kaltern/Tramin/Auer
Day 6: Tramin/Kaltern/Auer – Trento (28 mi/45 km)
Today's route is mainly on the Adige River, sometimes through vineyards, heading to Salurn. From Salurn, the cycle path is along a dyke surrounded left and right by the famous Trentino vineyards. The final stop of the day is Trento, where you can visit the famous old town, dome, and Buonconsiglio Castle.
Overnight in Trento
Day 7: Trento – Riva/Torbole (31 mi/50 km)
The final day's route continues on the Adige River to Rovereto, the old Tyrolean border city, and Mori. Here the route leaves the river and turns west to Lake Garda. After a brief 492 ft/150 m climb on Passo San Giovanni you cycle down to Torbole, Riva or Arco.
Overnight in Riva/Torbole
Day 8: Individual departure
Today marks the end of your tour. You can either arrange more days in Italy or arrange for a taxi to the airport or train station.
Saturdays: Apr 26-Sep 20, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 26-May 3; Sep 14-Sep 20, 2014|
|Shoulder season:||May 4-Jun 7; Aug 31-Sep 13, 2014|
|High season:||Jun 8-Aug 30, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Austria Trend Hotel Congress, Innsbruck
Day 2: Hotel Auderer, Imst
Day 3: Hotel Garni zum Hirschen, Burgeis/Mals
Day 4: Siegler im Thurm, Merano
Day 5: Pension/Garni Erika, Kaltern/Tramin/Auer
Day 6: Grand Hotel Trento, Trento
Day 7: Best Western Hotel Europa, Riva/Torbole
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available on this tour (not included in tour price, must be reserved at time of booking):
The bikes will have FLAT pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals, please bring your own shoes and also the necessary equipment to change the pedals.
If you plan to bring your own seat, please ensure that it has a universal seat post.
We recommend that you bring or buy your own helmet for safety and hygiene purposes.
The route follows cycle paths in the valleys of Inn and Adige Rivers and several country lanes between fruit orchards and vineyards. You'll be transferred from the Inn Valley to Reschen Pass, where you will then cycle 3900 ft/1200 m downhill, with a few short climbs in between.
This tour is recommended for cyclists in good physical condition.
Nearest airport: Innsbruck, Austria
Nearest train station: Innsbruck, Austria
Nearest airport: Verona, Venice and Milan, Italy
Nearest train station: Rovereto, Italy
To return from Riva to Innsbruck, you can go by bus to Rovereto and then take a train from Rovereto to Innsbruck.
Return transfer to Innsbruck by minibus is available on Saturdays. It costs €65 per person and, due to limited space, reservations in advance are required. You pay on the spot.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
Eurofun Touristik, also known as Eurobike, was founded in 1993. The company stands for long-term experience in tourism, specializing in cycle holidays. The company has continued to expand over the years, adding "Rückenwind Reisen” in Oldenburg/Germany to the Eurofun group in 2002 and "Eurohike" was founded to service the growing demand for hiking holidays in 2004.
Eurofun's strenths include professional and meticulously researched routes, modern and regularly maintained bicycles, tour guides who know the country accompanying group tours and very detailed travel documentation for individual tours. Along with these aspects, Eurofun offers excellent working support service, luggage transfer and accommodation in hotels with a comfortable ambience and cozy atmosphere.
I. Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest to declare the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorised to charge the following cancellation fees:
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
For bike and boat tours offered through EUROFUN, the following cancellation penalties apply:
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. EUROFUN can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorised to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alteration fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
II. Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH (EUROFUN) the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form whether ours or that of one of our partner offices. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when EUROFUN or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
When the booking confirmation reaches you, a first payment of € 100,-- should be made. 28 days before the beginning of the trip at the latest the payment of the rest of the travel price is due. Bank accounts in Austria, Germany, Switzerland and Italy are at your disposal for the deposit. Please note that the invoice total should be credited to our account; possible costs of the payments should be debited to the account of the trip participant! The travel material will be sent to you after the deposit is received, or latest two weeks before the beginning of the journey. Bank accounts: Volksbank Braunau, bank code: 42550, account number: 380 7864 0000 Sparkasse Ried, bank code: 20333, account number: 0000-000711 Hypo-Vereinsbank Simbach, bank code: 743 200 73, account number: 6070 220 510 Volksbank Bodensee AG St. Margarethen, account number: 16.100.373.09 Südtiroler Sparkasse Cassa di Risparmino di Bolzano, account number: 2081-5801, bank code: 0604511688
1. The service descriptions in the at the time of the journey current EUROFUN-catalogue cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
3. Children up to the age of 14 will receive a 25% discount on the travel price, if they sleep in the room of two full price payers (with an additional bed).
V. Liability and restriction of liability
1. EUROBIKE EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked by EUROFUN TOURISTIK GmbH (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee by Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. The quarterly protection sums correspond with the legal requirements. The amount of the protection results from the travel agency decree BGBl. 881/94 Nr. 274 of 15.11.1994 and Nr. 170, BGBl. Nr. 52 of 12.04.1996. In case of insolvency direct refund applications to EUROPÄISCHE REISEVESICHERUNG AG, Augasse 5 - 7, A-1090 Wien, Tel. 0043-1/317 25 00, Fax: 0043-1/317 25 00 199. Refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim. You will receive an appropriate protection certificate with the booking confirmation.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should disadvantages occur through loss or damage of your luggage, we are only liable if the disadvantage has been caused by us and are reported to us immediately after the occurrence; however, even then only up to € 200,-- per person. We recommend a Luggage-Travel-Insurance or a Travel-Safety-Package for the risks. This restriction of liability is also valid for tours who EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK is the travel agent.
9. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK GMBH can refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorised to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognisable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorised to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveller intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
VII. Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999. In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK are insured by a bank guarantee at Volksbank Braunau, A-5280 Braunau. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base. In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent EUROPÄISCHE Reiseversicherung AG, 1090 Vienna, Augasse 5-7, Phone. +43/1/317 25 00, Fax: +43/1/317 25 00 199, within 8 weeks of insolvency date. Clients receive certificates of insurance with their booking.
VII. Cooperation Obligation
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should inform EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveller is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorised to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
X. Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue EUROBIKE - EUROFUN TOURISTIK only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive. Tour operator For all tours that are marked with the opposite seal the tour operator is: EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK GMBH A-5162 Obertrum am See EUROBIKE - EUROFUNTOURISTIK is the travel agent for all other tours.