|Type of tour:||Self-guided|
|Distance:||27 Miles/day average|
|Dates:||Daily: Apr 12-Oct 12, 2014|
|Start city:||Linz, Austria|
|End city:||Vienna, Austria|
This Danube Family Tour was designed especially for families. It offers shorter daily distances than the usual tour program, due in part to scheduled boat rides along the route on many days. Hotels are family friendly. You will spend one night at an original farm allowing children to assist in feeding the animals. During the tour, there is a two-night stay in an exclusive hotel with pool and spa in the beautiful Wachau valley. A ride on the famous Ferris wheel in Vienna's Prater is the highlight of this amazing bike trip.
The Danube Bicycle Path offers nearly carefree cycling and an ideal way to view the region. It's downstream all the way, passing through picturesque towns and villages and across lush farmland. It’s paved and almost traffic-free, following an old horse path where teams of horses once struggled to tow barges upstream. Along the majestic river, you pass romantic castles, cozy villages and sprawling vineyards. Unforgettable end of the tour is the Austrian capital, Vienna, with its countless sights.
You start in a deep valley with craggy outcroppings topped with the ruins of ancient castles. Soon, the hills turn to the rolling vineyards of the Wachau region, dotted with medieval towns. As the river widens, flat pastures spread to the horizons, and you meander through farms and villages. From time to time you cross the river, over dams, locks and bridges and sometimes in small ferries especially for cyclists.
You receive a detailed route map with sightseeing suggestions, and your program will include hotels along the way (with breakfast and dinner). Each morning, you leave your luggage at the hotel, and the tour operator transfers it to your next hotel. You have a phone number for service and emergency support along the way.
Learn more about self-guided tours.
Distances listed are miles traveled by bike - actual distances are longer and include boat or train transportation.
Day 1: Arrival in Linz
Arrival in Linz. If you arrive early enough, you can visit Fairytale World at the famous Postlingberg. The Cave Railway is the major tourist attraction of Upper Austria's capitol.
Overnight in Linz.
Day 2: Linz - Mitterkirchen (28 miles/45 km)
Start your trip and cycle through the river wetlands to the mouth of the river Enns. Take time to visit the oldest city of Austria before you reach Mitterkirchen for the evening. You will be accommodated at an original farm where children have the possibility to help feed the animals. Additionally, a Celtic village will give you impressions about former times.
Overnight in Mitterkirchen.
Day 3: Mitterkirchen - Marbach (28 miles/45 km)
Today you cycle through the rich planes of the Machland area and enter the wild Strudengau-valley with its dreamy little towns and village. On the way to your destination, "Nibelungengau area", you cycle through lush forests in untouched nature.
Overnight in Marbach.
Day 4: Marbach - Durnstein (25 miles/40 km)
This stage first takes you to Melk with its world's biggest Baroque abbey. Subsequently you pass winegrowing villages, old fortified churches and ancient castles of the Wachau region. In your destination you will spend two nights in a wonderful hotel with pool and spa.
Overnight in Durnstein.
Day 5: Rest day in Durnstein
You will have several options on how to spend your day. Hiking around the beautiful wine growing region, taking a boat ride, or spending the day relaxing in your hotel are all options. The children will have fun in the pool while you have time to taste some different wines in the shadow of the hotel garden.
Overnight in Durnstein.
Day 6: Durnstein - Tulln (28 miles/45 km)
Your day starts witha boat ride to Krems. Take time to visit the 1000 year old capitol of the Wachau. This distance of your bike trip leads you through the region of "Donauauen" until you reach Tulln, which is also known as the "city of flowers." It is worth a visit to Egon-Schiele-museum.
Overnight in Tulln.
Day 7: Tulln - Vienna (25 miles/40 km)
Today you pass Greifenstein and Klosterneuburg. Your tour ends in the Danube metropolis of Vienna. Don't forget to visit the "Wurstelprater", the vibrant entertainment area of Vienna's Prater and experience its positive mood. We have included a ride with the well-known and famous Ferris wheel.
Day 8: Departure or extension in Vienna
The red line on the map below highlights your route for this tour.
Daily: Apr 12-Oct 12, 2014
|Low season:||Apr 12-May 15; Sep 22-Oct 12, 2014|
|High season:||May 16-Sep 21, 2014|
These are sample hotels and may vary based on availability.
Day 1: Arcotel Nike, Linz
Day 2: Radlerbauernhof Moser, Mitterkirchen
Day 3: Hotel Wachauerhof, Marbach
Day 4, 5: Gartenhotel Pfeffel, Durnstein
Day 6: Design Hotel Romerhof, Tulln
Day 7: Austria Classic Hotel, Vienna
Interested in visiting other areas before or after your tour? Visit our hotels page to learn more about lodging options.
Bikes available to be rented (in advance at the time of booking) include:
The bikes have comfortable gel saddles and a diameter seat-post of 27.2 to 31.4 mm. If you plan to bring your own seat, please make sure it will be compatible with this seat post. If necessary, you may also need to bring your own adapter. The tour company will assist in switching the seat post for you.
Helmets are NOT included with the bike rentals. You can buy a helmet (not rent) from the tour company for 30 Euros. It will be a high quality, brand new helmet. You must let us know your helmet preference upon booking. If you do not buy a helmet through the tour company, we recommend you bring your own.
The route follows dedicated bike paths the entire route, and the terrain is flat. It's paved and almost traffic-free, following an old horse path where teams of horses once struggled to tow barges upstream.
To shorten a day's riding, you can often board a train or ship along the way. Many trains have cars specifically for bicycles, and ships carry them with no problem as well.
From time to time you cross the river, over dams, locks and bridges and sometimes in small ferries that hold barely a dozen cyclists.
On this Family Tour, short distances are chosen specifically with families in mind.
"Overall, we had a great time! The hotels were good (especially in Melk and Vienna) and the miles totally manageable. There were quite a few reroutes but, for the most part, the reroutes went through pretty towns and farmlands (as opposed to right on the river) so it was just as mellow and picturesque. I'm so glad we did it and I will encourage others to do it and to book through your website."
"We had a wonderful trip. Everything went very smoothly - good biking equipment, great hotels, good transportation, etc. We really enjoyed the trip and are already looking at future trips with the family in a different location. So many thanks for helping us plan the tour."
"It was a great trip, and I enjoyed it immensely. Tour company representatives met us the first morning and explained in detail everything that was planned. I didn't realize that a boat ride and train ride with the bikes were included. The scenery was amazing, the bike trails excellent, the hotels were more than sufficient. The hotel in Vienna was first class and their breakfast was the most amazing I have ever seen. All of us liked riding much more than merely sightseeing. The bikes were brand new and my 10-year-old daughter said she wants me to buy her one just like the one she rode. Thanks for arranging this tour."
"Boy, what a great trip! A cycle vacation is perfect for an active family with teens and the Danube was the perfect first trip location for scenery and ease of navigation. We're already talking about 'where next?' Thank you for all your help!"
Nearest airport: Linz, Vienna, or Munich
Nearest train station: Linz
Nearest airport and train station: Vienna
Arrival by car or train to Linz: Public garage parking is available directly next to the start hotel (€14 per day, payable locally).
Daily transfer from Vienna to Linz is available, but must be reserved at time of booking. You will be picked up at your hotel; the trip is about 2 hours and costs €50 per person (including bike if applicable).
These private transportation services must be requested at the time of original booking.
Tips on getting to and from your tour
Weatherspark.com offers information on average weather conditions at most destinations throughout the globe. Type a destination in the search box, and select "Averages," and you'll find a range of information such as average high and low temperatures, precipitation, cloudy days, humidity and wind speed/direction.
Of course, if your tour is coming up in the next week, you can also select "Forecast" to get the most current information on upcoming conditions.
Austria sits at the crossroads of Central Europe, once the Habsburg Empire’s seat of power that ruled Europe for over 6 centuries. While Habsburg power ended after World War I, Austria remains a prominent country. Today it is known for its idyllic and majestic landscape of mountains, green valleys, rivers and storybook villages. Along with such a landscape are the cultural centers of Vienna and Salzburg. The elegant city of Vienna reveals the glory days of the Habsburg Empire, featuring the Hofburg Imperial Palace, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and impressive Opera House. Salzburg, home of Mozart and The Sound of Music, has Europe’s largest intact medieval fortress overlooking the cobblestone streets of its historic Old Town.
For 20 years, Radreisefreunde has offered bike tours throughout the world, and are a very experienced company. They try to act flexible, as they offer individual service for each and every client. The quality of their journeys and satisfaction of their clients is the most important aspect to their company. Throughout their 20 years of business, their excellent service and quality has contributed to many clients returning on multiple tours.
Radreisefreunde would be pleased to welcome you on their tours!
Cancellation through the customer/substitute participant/change in booking
1. The customer can withdraw from the agreement at any time. We suggest declaring the withdrawal in writing. In case of withdrawal or non-participation without a previous withdrawal declaration we are authorized to charge the following cancellation fees:
- Up to the 28th day before the beginning of the journey: 10%, at least € 50,
- From the 27th to the 8th day before the beginning of the journey: 50% of the travel price
- From the 7th to the 1st day before the beginning of the journey: 80 % of the travel price
- On the arrival day and non-participation: 100% of the travel price
In each case a cancellation insurance is recommendable.
2. Every registered trip participant can let a third party take his place, if we are informed up to three days before the beginning of the journey. Radreisefreunde can oppose the participation of a third party because of important reasons. The following withdrawal conditions are effective in such a situation. If a third party takes the place of the registered participant, the original contract is not affected. We are authorized to charge € 50,-- for the change in booking.
3. Changes with regard to number of participants, number or type of rooms, hotel category or catering are basically possible up to 14 days before the beginning of the journey. However, we will have to charge you an alternation fee for the arising expenses. We will charge € 50,-- for each change in booking.
Signing the travel agreement
1. When booking a journey the customer offers Radreisefreunde the conclusion of a binding travel agreement. The registration takes place in writing and on the intended form. Any other form of registration, whether on the phone, oral, or written with us or one of our partner offices is also binding. The registration is made by the customer also for all the other named participants. The customer accepts the binding conditions of travel at issue - also in the name and in the behalf of the named participants.
2. The agreement is reached when Radreisefreunde or one of its partner offices accepts the booking and sends you a booking confirmation.
3. Collateral agreements and changes of the signed travel agreement need to be confirmed by us in writing.
1. The service descriptions in the current Radreisefreunde-catalogue or web site cover the range of our contractual services. Differing declarations or pledges from mediating travel agents, town or hotel brochures or other third parties are not relevant. The indicated towns of each stage are usually and mainly the destinations of the stage. In some cases we have to assume your consent to take into account other towns in the near surroundings without deduction.
2. The trip price is based on one person in a double room. A single room can be booked - if available - for an extra charge. In some hotels, however, the number of available single rooms is limited, so that you might have to do at a pinch with a little bit simpler accommodation or be possibly accommodated in another hotel or private guest house. If, by way of exception, a single room cannot be made available, you will have to share a double room with one of the other participants. In such a case, of course, the extra price you have been charge will be proportionately refunded.
Liability and restriction of liability
1. Radreisefreunde is liable in the scope of the obligation to exercise diligence of an ordinary trader for the conscientious preparation of the journey, the careful choice and monitoring of the services and the correctness of the for the time of the trip, valid at the time of the publication of our catalogue, description of the services.
2. Participation in a bike tour is at one's own risk. Minors can participate in a trip only in the company of a legal guardian.
3. Participants are responsible for their personal health being up to the demands of the journeys.
4. Participants are also responsible for the compliance with the traffic regulations.
5. The terms of transport of the respective haulier (bus, boat, plane and the like) are valid for all transports. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree You money is safe with us. Customer's money protection in accordance with EU-decree The Radreisefreunde is recorded in the organisers register of the ministry of economic affairs with the number 1999/0035. With the package tours booked byRadreisefreunde (in case of insolvency), already paid payments for travel services that have not been provided any more and necessary expenses for the return journey are covered through a bank guarantee. In case of insolvency refund applications should be delivered within 8 weeks from the onset of the claim.
6. We cannot be made liable if a planned sightseeing tour cannot be made, for whatever reasons (rebuilding, renovation etc.) that cannot be influenced by us.
7. Should any disadvantages occur that have been caused by one of our chosen service carriers or us only, neither wilfully nor gross negligently, our liability - out of whichever legal argument - is limited to the triple amount of the tour price.
8. Should a tour be cancelled for reasons that we cannot influence (strike, natural disaster and the like) or should less than 8 persons participate in a guided tour - if there is no other minimum number of participants indicated in the corresponding tour description - we reserve the right to cancel the tour up to 25 days before the planned beginning of the tour. In this case you will be informed as soon as possible and receive your money back immediately. There are no other legitimate claims.
1. Legal redress If the tour does not proceed according to the contract, legal redress can be sought. What is contractual is determined on the one side by the service description, on the other by the locality of the country of destination. Radreisefreundecan refuse the redress, if an extraordinary effort is required, is however authorized to provide redress in the form of substitute services, whether of equal or higher worth. The customer can refuse such a substitute service only in case of important, objectively recognizable reasons. The redress claim should be directed at us or the travel guide. The travel guide is however not authorized to acknowledge the claim.
2. Reduction of the travel price After his return the customer can claim a reduction of the travel price for the duration of the tour that has not proceeded according to the contract until legal redress has been provided through Radreisefreunde. Legal redress will not be provided if the traveler intentionally refrained to indicate the shortcomings to the offices named in VI.1. on time to make the legal redress for these possible.
3. Any claims that might arise should be asserted up to one month latest after the contractually intended termination of the tour.
Protection of Client's Payments
Protection of clients' payments is according to the guidelines of the European Union dated June 13, 1990 (90/314/EWG, article 2 Z1) - as well as the Austrian law of travel agent security decree (RSV) BGBl. II Nr. 16/1999.
In the event of insolvency the tour packages organised by Radreisefreunde are insured by a bank guarantee. This insurance is valid for services paid, but not rendered and for eventual costs of clients return to home base.
In the event of insolvency all claims above and beyond the bank guarantee have to reach the handling agent within 8 weeks of insolvency date.
1. If travel material is not provided on time, the traveller should informRadreisefreunde immediately.
2. If any service interference occurs, the traveler is obliged to contribute everything possible within reasonableness to get rid of the interference and to avoid or to limit the possible damages that may arise. The customer is especially obliged to inform the offices named in VI.1. of any complaints immediately. They are authorized to provide legal redress, as far as this is possible. If the customer refrains intentionally to indicate the shortcomings, a claim for reduction cannot be made.
1. The customer is responsible for the compliance with all passport, visa, custom, and health regulations.
2. We have to reserve the right to change prices and services, as well as to correct mistakes and printing errors.
3. The inoperativeness of single regulations of the travel agreement does not result in inoperativeness of the whole agreement.
Legal domicile/applicable law
1. The agreement conditions are subject to Austrian law.
2. The customer can sue Radreisefreunde only at its headquarters.
3. The customer's place of residence is decisive for the tour operator's suits against the customer, unless the suit is directed against entrepreneurs or persons that do not have a general legal domicile in Austria. In this case the tour operator's place of headquarters is decisive.